macros for dbx, adb etc

Post by sridh.. » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi All,

I have been trying to make dbx on AIX 4.3 work for me, but I havent been
able to make it do stuff. Hoping someone here can give me some hints.

I'm trying to debug a user program that has dumped core. The binary was
not compiled with a -g.  Things that I can do on other platforms dont
seem to work here. I'm trying something like this

print (struct foo *)0x20f6abcd

dbx complains that  there is a syntax error !!

Is there a way to forcefully load an object file so that dbx picks up
structure definitions ? Or is there a way to set the current address
(the dot variable) so that I can write macros and use source to dump out
stuff ?

All this would not have been a problem had adb worked alright. adb
doesnt seem to understand the newer core format.

I still can do stuff by compiling with -qlist and calculating
stackpointer offsets by hand but this is very painful if you have to do
it multiple times.

I would appreciate any help/

thanks
Srikanth

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. missing adb macro?

So, in "Panic! Unix Crash Dump Analysis" the authors use an adb
macro named 'traceall'.  however, the only thing that appears in
/usr/lib/adb (or /usr/platform/sun4m/lib/adb/) is 'traceall.nxt'.
That makes me think that traceall is supposed to be there, but
for some reason isn't (at least on the 2.6 or the 2.5.1 systems I
have access to).

Does anyone know where this thing is hiding?  (Or maybe just how
to determine the stack trace of a specfic process from a
savecore.)

Darrell Fuhriman

2. Help needed to understand 'kitrace' debugger

3. dbx, adb for UNIX SRV4

4. Top 10 subjects comp.unix.questions

5. Need adb macro for Solaris 2.2 to display processes names

6. Lonely...

7. Creating own macros for adb

8. Help to adjust integrated sound card CMI8738, please.

9. Information about Solaris 2.x adb macros?

10. help! adb macros

11. learning dbx/adb &c, good books?

12. How to create adb macros for kernel data structs

13. HPUX -- adb macros???