Booting from CD

Post by Joel Ben » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

We have a 7043-43P-140 that we are trying to boot off a diagnostic CD,  Is
this possible, and what steps need to be taken to get it done.  The machine
just keeps restarting.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  By the way, no os
is loaded on the machine.

--
Joel

Booting from CD

Post by Matthew Land » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> We have a 7043-43P-140 that we are trying to boot off a diagnostic CD,  Is
> this possible, and what steps need to be taken to get it done.  The machine
> just keeps restarting.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  By the way, no os
> is loaded on the machine.

> --
> Joel

I know my 7248 couldn't run diag.  So a diag CD wouldn't work for that
system.  I am not sure about a 7043, but it is likely that diag isn't
supported on that either.

 - Matt

   << Comments, views, and opinions are mine alone, not IBM's. >>

Booting from CD

Post by Norman Levi » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> We have a 7043-43P-140 that we are trying to boot off a diagnostic CD,  Is
> this possible, and what steps need to be taken to get it done.  The machine
> just keeps restarting.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  By the way, no os
> is loaded on the machine.

** have CD in drive.  Power up.  When you hear a 'tweadle' sound, press F5.
Shortly after the sound, the graphic display should light up with icons.  You will have pressed
F5 after the keyboard icon comes on.
--
Norman Levin

Booting from CD

Post by peter_rei.. » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> We have a 7043-43P-140 that we are trying to boot off a diagnostic CD,
Is
> this possible, and what steps need to be taken to get it done.  The
machine
> just keeps restarting.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  By the way,
no os
> is loaded on the machine.

> --
> Joel

Some of the older 415 diag disks don't boot - there is a newer version
which does.  Call your supplier.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Booting from CD

Post by peter_rei.. » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> > We have a 7043-43P-140 that we are trying to boot off a diagnostic
CD,  Is
> > this possible, and what steps need to be taken to get it done.  The
machine
> > just keeps restarting.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  By the
way, no os
> > is loaded on the machine.
> ** have CD in drive.  Power up.  When you hear a 'tweadle' sound,
press F5.
> Shortly after the sound, the graphic display should light up with

icons.  You will have pressed
Quote:> F5 after the keyboard icon comes on.
> --
> Norman Levin

More like "blib-ip" than "tweadle"...? Or maybe I'm getting deaf...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Booting from CD

Post by dcha.. » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,
     does this work for a 360 with an external toshiba cdrom too??  I
tried it to no avail.... I am in the same situation except that I have a
360 and I am trying to boot off of a 4.3.2 cd

thanks,
dougc

--
Norman Levin

Booting from CD

Post by jam.. » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> We have a 7043-43P-140 that we are trying to boot off a diagnostic CD,
Is
> this possible, and what steps need to be taken to get it done.  The
machine
> just keeps restarting.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  By the way,
no os
> is loaded on the machine.

> --
> Joel

My opinion on this:

I'm not sure if the this CD is bootable.  One thing I would suggest,
however (all the other suggestions here are good; use this as a last
resort) is to change the boot sequence search order so that the CD is
the first (and perhaps only) item referenced.  This is accomplished via
the firmware on my 7248, I would expect it to be something similar for
your machine.

Although my machine does not allow direct access to firmware (aka
pressing F1), it is accessible via the SMS (System Management Services)
diskette.  Going to the the rs6000 firmware update page should allow you
to download the firmware update software for your particular machine (of
which the SMS is a part).  Assuming you have a DOS machine available,
you can create such a diskette (read the instructions carefully), boot
into the Firmware Resources, change the boot order so that the CD is
interrogated first.  Given what you mentioned about your configuration
(NO OS on Drive), if you cannot boot with this revised sequence, (Note:
As stated earlier, you can, of course change the bootup search sequence
to not include your Hard Drive) Then 1). Your boot devices are not
working or 2). That media (CD) is not bootable

Constant restarting is usually an indication that available boot
resouces configured in firmware are not 'boot available', i.e. none of
the boot resources that should/could be interrogated can boot. The
machine seems to be kinda dumb in that way, however since one of your
boot choices could be network resident, I suspect the firmware believes
that a boot device may eventually become available and should,
therefore, keep trying.

Hope this helps

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Booting from CD

Post by Robert Clayto » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I have about twenty of these machines, and they boot from the diagnostic CD
all the time.  You just have to modify the boot sequence as I described
above.

rc

--
Robert Clayton
Systems Engineer

http://www.actix-group.com

Providing international services for short-term UNIX projects.

This message contains information which is legally privileged and/or
confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified
that any unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message
in error, please notify us by telephoning  1 770 242 3397  immediately
during Eastern United States business hours, or by e-mailing us at:

1. SparcII + Solaris 2.6 + CD drive = not booting from CD

I have a SparcII and an old ('95) 4x external Toshiba CDROM drive in a 411
case.  yesterday i was clean installing Solaris 2.6 onto the system from
CDROM when i started getting errors.  it was at the point after
installation, reboot, and then it launches CDE to complete installation.  so
i figured i'd boot from CD again and start over.  at this point i started
getting this:

Rebooting with command: cdrom

Can't read disk label.
Can't open disk label package
Can't open boot device

any ideas?  is this cdrom incompatible with Solaris 2.6?  i installed 2.6 on
this system before without any problems, although i stopped being able to
boot off my 2.5.1 CD after that.  i figured the 2.5.1 disc was bad, but
maybe 2.6 made the drive unhappy.  or maybe the drive is kaput.

also, i just replaced the nvram chip a few months ago.  i don't know if
that's important to this issue.

*sigh*

2. Outgoing IP address on logical interfaces.

3. x86 vold doesn't recognize the CD but can boot from CD...

4. shared credentials with vfs snapshotting

5. Dynamic PPP, CD-R, Boot from CD-ROM, RedHat Linux

6. DVD / CD burner support Redhat 9

7. Ultra 30 won't boot from cd (boot: cannot open kernel/unix)

8. filename character case in Arc/Info and unix

9. LILO boot to CD

10. NetBSD 1.5 on DECstation 500/125 - problem booting from CD

11. Cant boot from CD

12. boot from cd the 2nd

13. solaris does not boot from cd