suppress reverse lookup

Post by Arshad She » Sun, 18 Aug 2002 07:38:07

Is there some thing for nfs to suppress reverse lookup, like in
/etc/inetd.conf you can supress reverse lookup for rshd and rexecd by
using a -c option, is there any thing for nfsd too????

Thanks for your help.

Arshad

1. wu-ftpd is slow, how to suppress DNS lookups?

I have wu-ftpd 2.6.0 running on my RedHat 6.2 Linux machine.  When I try to
FTP to this machine, wu-ftpd sits there for about 30 seconds before
displaying a login prompt.  I used tcpdump to watch what it's doing.
wu-ftpd is querying the name server defined in /etc/resolv.conf.  If this
name server is unable to respond, I have to wait for about 30 seconds until
it times out.  Then I'll get my FTP login prompt after the timeout.

I have two questions:

1. Why does wu-ftpd insist on querying a name server when all the relevant
host info is locally-available in /etc/hosts?

2. How can I get wu-ftpd to stop with the lookups!?!  A "man ftpaccess"
reveals that there's a new option called "dns resolveroptions".  I've tried
some options such as "-dnsrch" to no avail.  Will any of these options be of
use to me?

In my search for answers, the following post is the closest I've come to
coming to a solution:

http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=532907029

This post seems to contain good advice.  My /etc/hosts, however, is correct.
And all my programs, with the sole exception of wu-ftpd, are able to resolve
a name or IP address using /etc/hosts.  Why can't wu-ftpd?

Please help.

2. mpd 3.2 troubble

3. tcpd - How can I disable reverse lookups

4. Compaq partition table question

5. Truning off reverse lookup?

6. KDE 2.1

7. DNS - reverse lookup & timeout

8. How to set up sub-directories in /home

9. inetd/pop3d and reverse lookup?

10. Command Line DNS Reverse Lookup

11. Reverse DNS lookups

12. Named reverse lookup files problem (converting from Solaris to Linux)

13. Resolving reverse lookups