How to increase swap space in AIX PS/2 1.1?

How to increase swap space in AIX PS/2 1.1?

Post by Chip Salzenbe » Sat, 03 Feb 1990 22:25:06

I've recently started working with AIX PS/2 1.1, in preparation for
doing some porting work.  However, now that I have Emacs and bash
running, I've a small problem with swap space.  Someone else built the
system with the default swap area of 4000 blocks, and now I'm running
out of swap space when I compile large programs from Emacs.

I have a small partition that I'm willing to sacrifice, but it was
originally configured as "/u" and now the "minidisks" command won't
let me change its status.

So can I increase my swap space without rebuilding the whole disk??
I'd be very disappointed if this change is impossible...
--

          "The Usenet, in a very real sense, does not exist."

How to increase swap space in AIX PS/2 1.1?

Post by Kevin P. Kleinfelt » Tue, 06 Feb 1990 01:57:02

Quote:>I have a small partition that I'm willing to sacrifice, but it was
>originally configured as "/u" and now the "minidisks" command won't
>let me change its status.
>So can I increase my swap space without rebuilding the whole disk??

I have deleted my "/u" minidisk, so I know it is possible.  Rather than
trying to "change" its status, you might try to delete it, and then mark
it as "free space" and THEN make it swap space.  I wouldn't know about
swap space: I'm running a few small reentrant programs on a machine with
8 meg; I don't think I've swapped.

You may have to do this when booted from the "maintennance" diskette.
--

gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

Post by Jack F. Vog » Tue, 06 Feb 1990 04:12:25

>I've recently started working with AIX PS/2 1.1, in preparation for
>doing some porting work.  However, now that I have Emacs and bash
>running, I've a small problem with swap space.  Someone else built the
>system with the default swap area of 4000 blocks, and now I'm running
>out of swap space when I compile large programs from Emacs.

Surprise surprise, nothing like GNU software to chew up the old memory,
wait til you try and run X :-}!!

Quote:>I have a small partition that I'm willing to sacrifice, but it was
>originally configured as "/u" and now the "minidisks" command won't
>let me change its status.
>So can I increase my swap space without rebuilding the whole disk??
>I'd be very disappointed if this change is impossible...

Theoretically this can be done, it depends on your present layout of
minidisks. What I mean is that there is a tool for manipulating things,
it is the Utilities diskette, it will allow you to remove and recreate
the various sorts of minidisks on your drive. The problem you might
have, I suspect, is that in the usual installation the /u filesystem
is created on minidisk 1, while the paging device is usually number 4,
and the local and root lay between them. Thus you cannot really combine
their space into one paging device. However if the /u minidisk is
larger than 4000 blocks you could remove it, and recreate a paging
minidisk with that larger area, and then perhaps make the /u filesystem
where the old paging device was. In any case, I would strongly recommend
doing a backup prior to diddling with the vtoc in this way.

Good Luck!

Disclaimer: These are my opinions, not necessarily LCC's or IBM's

--

AIX Technical Support                 - or -

1. question about ps (AIX 1.1 PS/2)

Hi -

Sometimes, when I do a ps -el (that's /bin/ps), I get the following
two errors (and no ps output):

        swapread: dbd not of type DBD_SWAP
        getupages: Can't read upage from swap for proc nnnn

Any ideas?  The process number nnnn is a normal user process that is
there all the time, and not something that is just starting or exiting.

Thanks for your help......

Pete Gregory   : uucp:   uunet!bally!pete            |

Bally Systems  : phone:  702-323-6156 x882           |         John 3:16
255 Bell St.   : FAX:    702-323-5997                |     (think about it!)
Reno, NV 89503                                       |

2. How to do checks for multiple != conditions in an if/then ?

3. How to Increase Paging/Swap Space on IBM AIX 5.1L

4. Solaris 7 strange problem....

5. how to increase swap space on aix 5L

6. Netscape, Mosaic, etc....

7. NetBSD 1.1/i386 Swap space problem

8. Problems with XBF_NeoMagic X Server and Device Drivers

9. X3.1.1 won't give my swap space back!!

10. Getting PS/2-80's with AIX 1.1 on ethernet

11. Problems with AIX 1.1 in PS/2

12. SAR wanted for PS/2 AIX 1.1

13. PS/2 80 AIX 1.1 Tape Utilities & 6157 Streamer