Windows-NT access to AIX printers

Post by Michael C. Venne » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Among the computers on our company LAN is a PC running Windows-NT Server
v3.51 and an RS6000/520 running AIX v3.1.  The AIX machine serves-up its
printers for the benefit of the DOS-based machines on the network (each
of which runs Sun's PC-NFS Client software) and I would like to be able
to access them from the NT Server as well.

I'm aware of the availability of NFS Client software for Windows
platforms and of SMB Server software for AIX platforms but, isofar as I
only need unidirectional printer access, they seem like overkill
solutions.  My thinking is that I should be able to use TCP/IP's LPR
facility.

On the NT Server I 'created' a new printer specifying 'LPR Port' as the
print destination.  When, from the NT Server, I print to the new printer
the job appears to spool and print normally but, on the console of the
AIX machine I recieve a diagnostic, to wit:

"lpd:  erno=13:  The file access permissions do not allow the specified
action"

I have run out of things to try and would appreciate any suggestions.

Windows-NT access to AIX printers

Post by Tom Kunke » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Michael C. Venner wrote

Quote:>Among the computers on our company LAN is a PC running Windows-NT Server
>v3.51 and an RS6000/520 running AIX v3.1.  The AIX machine serves-up its
>printers for the benefit of the DOS-based machines on the network
[snip]
>On the NT Server I 'created' a new printer specifying 'LPR Port' as the
>print destination.  When, from the NT Server, I print to the new printer
>the job appears to spool and print normally but, on the console of the
>AIX machine I recieve a diagnostic, to wit:
>"lpd:  erno=13:  The file access permissions do not allow the specified
>action"

Have you:

    1/ checked name resolution (hostname<->IP address<->hostname)
    2/ verified lpd is running on AIX
    3/ checked the NT box's hostname is in hosts.lpd

Regards

Post by Michael C. Venne » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Have you:

>     1/ checked name resolution (hostname<->IP address<->hostname)
>     2/ verified lpd is running on AIX
>     3/ checked the NT box's hostname is in hosts.lpd

Yes on all three counts.  Indeed;  the NT print data files ARE getting
spooled on the AIX machine, as /var/spool/lpd/dfA###NT_HOST_NAME, as
expected ...  they just aren't being printed.

Thanks and Regards,
Mike Venner

Post by v.. » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Among the computers on our company LAN is a PC running Windows-NT Server
>v3.51 and an RS6000/520 running AIX v3.1.  The AIX machine serves-up its
>printers for the benefit of the DOS-based machines on the network (each
>of which runs Sun's PC-NFS Client software) and I would like to be able
>to access them from the NT Server as well.

Hi

I use samba on a AIX 4.3 as a printer server voor NT and W95 machines
The only problem i have is that when i use fonts in a document that are
not loaded in the printer i get rubbish and also sometimes picuteres are
not printed correctly.

I print from NT and w95 with the printerdriver for the printer a HP 4 si
and use AIX with a pass through queue to a the HP4 si with a network card
installed.

greetings Paul

1. AIX and Windows NT: AIX RS6000 as a application and database server over an NT network ?

Any help on this appreciated:

I have to do a report on setting up a network for a one-site business ( say
30 employees max ).
They have an RS6000 running AIX for some databases, job/stock and costing
control applications, and want a PIII Server for new software ( such as
point of sale, office applications ). The RS6000 replaces an older UNIX
machine ( a DEC ? ). New clients will likely be NT workstations and
electronic point of sale ( these would I think be running of the apps on the
RS6000 ).

If the PIII has Windows NT 4, will the AIX apps work over the NT Network ?
If so, is it via something like X-Windows...er, or something along those
lines ? I can find references to Samba too but am not sure if this is what
is needed.

Is AIX a network operating system in the same way as Netware or NT ?

Sheesh ! As you can see, I am stumbling in the dark here ! :)
Many thanks to any kind souls in advance.

2. netcfg

3. How do I access a Windows NT shared printer?

4. AIC-7770 and scatter/gather.

5. Access a Windows NT printer share?

6. 4.3.3 Benchmark software

7. Can I use the printer attached a PC Windows 95 or Windows NT

8. passwd file corrupt

9. How to access Windows NT server and windows based PC

10. Accessing serial device from SCO UNIX under Windows 95 / Windows NT 4.0

11. windows-nt to aix print queues "how to setup"

12. Need help accessing shared files in window on Linux and windows printer on Linux.

13. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT