Network Interface Driver for AIX - Questions for the Networking Gurus

Network Interface Driver for AIX - Questions for the Networking Gurus

Post by Mohan Dattatre » Wed, 29 Apr 1992 03:19:55

Hi,
   I am looking for information on the AIX approach to writing
   Network Interface Drivers and how they compare and contrast
   with the BSD 4.1/4.3 style. I was unable to find any explicit
   references to this in the IBM documentation.
   So here are some basic questions:

1. What do I need to know about GDLC?

2. How does a device driver register itself with the right dlc?

3. How a device driver register itself with a protocol suite like TCP/IP
   Is using the "mktcpip" command the way?  It seems to insist on having
   a appropriate change method?

4. How does the driver advertise the MAC address of its Network Interface
   to the world? Related to this does the DLC take care of arp resolution
   and build up the MAC header for the driver.

Thanks very  much in advance,
/Mohan Dattatreya
Crescendo Communications