AIX default performance monitor?

Post by RACE » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

        I am wondering which performance monitor does the AIX flavor of
UNIX use? I've tried searching for perfmeter, xmeter, xload, meter...
i may have missed some unknown version unless my company didn't install
any at all. I'm used to Solaris, and I have not a clue as to which one AIX
uses... Thanks in advance.

John

AIX default performance monitor?

Post by Walsh Brow » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

In article

Quote:> Hi,

>    I am wondering which performance monitor does the AIX flavor of
> UNIX use? I've tried searching for perfmeter, xmeter, xload, meter...
> i may have missed some unknown version unless my company didn't
install
> any at all. I'm used to Solaris, and I have not a clue as to which one
AIX
> uses... Thanks in advance.

> John

Sorry,

Basic AIX does not come with all those bells and whistle monitors.  You
get the basics:  vmstat, iostat, netstat, sar and good ole' ps.

You can purchase a graphical toolkit (AIX Performance Toolbox) but I am
sure it ain't cheap.  There are some other addons (filemon, systune
etc.) but they are probably not what you are looking for.  Your best
bet?  Go to the Web and pull down the source for 'monitor'.  It does a
pretty good job, has a curses interface and best of all, it's free.

-- Walsh

--
Walsh Brown

Sometimes I sit and think...sometimes I just sit.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Best Centralized Performance Monitor - Solaris/Linux/AIX/UX/NT-2000..???

Many times I've seen the need to monitor the performance (ie. CPU,
memory, disk, etc..) of multiple servers...running different OS's...

I need advice as to what Performance Monitoring tools are available which
allow you to monitor performance from a single central location across
servers running Solaris/NT-2000/Linux/IBM-AUX/HP-UX. The monitoring
does not have to take place across the Internet, it could be across the
local LAN as well. NT-2000 has such a tool in PerfMon, in that it allows
one to monitor various performance metrics from multiple servers on
single screen...in one central location. But, this only works for the
Microsoft
based OS NT and 2000...I would like to find monitoring tools that work
with the OS's I've listed above.

I did find PAWZ from Compaq (http://www.pawz.ws/about.htm) but are
there any others? Any help would be appreciated...thanks

-mike-

--
PLEASE REPLY BACK TO ME AT:

2. Samba won't get Hostname

3. AIX 5 performance monitoring

4. Solaris DNS being replaced by NT4/DNS/WINS

5. Can somebody recommend some performance turing toosl and monitor tools for AIX,

6. FS: Sun systems & hardware

7. Performance Monitor for AIX

8. isp uses dynamic dns addresses

9. Graphic performance monitoring tools for AIX?

10. Best Centralized Performance Monitor - Solaris/Linux/AIX/UX/NT-2000..???

11. performance monitoring tool for AIX

12. Wanted performance monitor for AIX on AS/400