System Error - Need help

Post by Darin Kin » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

We have a customer with a Model 590.  Their system has suddenly started
crashing
with an error in the errpt -a of:

  ERROR LABEL:  DSI_PROC
  ERROR ID:          20FAED7F

  TYPE:  PERM
  Resource Name:  SYSVMM

  Error Description:
  Data Storage Interrupt, Processor

IBM has been out to look at it and they don't seem to know what is
causing this
error.

The system seems to be crashing more when it is off hours, but it just
went down
this afternoon while all of the users were on.

Could use any guidance available.  If IBM doesn't know, then I'm not
sure where
to turn to next.

TIA

Darin

System Error - Need help

Post by Curtis L. Brow » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Darin,

I once had a system that would seem randomly crash with data storage
interrupt errors.  It would happen when a suddenly high volume write
activity was happening to a particular volume group.  In my case the
problem was too many allocated Logical Partitions for the number of
allocated partitions for the JFS Log.  I believe the rule of thumb works
out to 1 lp in loglv for each 512 lp in logical volumes.  When I added 1
lp to loglv for the volume group the problem went away.

Curt

--
Curtis L. Brown

Avoid making irrevocable decisions while tired or hungry.
N.B.:  Circumstances can force your hand.  So think ahead!
  - Lazarus Long

1. Oddball netscape/system error - need help

        I've been getting a bizarre error with netscape, alternating
between segmentation faults and floating point exceptions.
Originally, I assumed this was 'cos I was using it past July 1st, but
now I'm getting the same problem with Mosaic.  I also got netscape to
run temporarily yesterday; weirdly enough, lynx works fine.
Anyway, my system is starting to go
berserk on me, giving me junk characters on man pages; when I ran fsck
to check I would be getting varying numbers of Free blocks, etc.  I've
had to reboot twice and I'm getting more than a little bit wigged out.
Any suggestions?

        BTW, are there any documented Linux-specific Viri?  Any
scanning programs?
                                    .

2. patch IDEA 3 to work with jdk 1.4.1-p3

3. Need Help Fixing File System Error

4. automated crontab entries

5. fips help needed: Error: Unknown file system: 0Fh

6. Linux will meet problerm when use Duron 1GHz CPU?

7. ***** Need help with system error ******

8. apache on SGI spinning down

9. PAM and FTP = System error ? Help needed

10. Help : Cannot create file system error during installation : linux 7.0 (ULTRA ATA 100 Error ???)

11. Help: Need to reclaim system memory not needed

12. ERROR: DOX for Enlightenment needs a system with the XTest Extension installed