Second Hand RS/6000's in UK?

Post by Andrew Marsa » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 05:27:15

Hi

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, so apologies
in advance.

I'm looking to get a second hand RS/6000 to use at home as I'm looking to
get more into AIX.  I've had a search on the UK auction sites but had no
joy.

Anyone know of anywhere where I can get my hands on one, preferably a 43P,
although anything else would be considered.

Many thanks in advance

Andrew

Second Hand RS/6000's in UK?

Post by steve payt » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:54:58

Hi

Keep looking on ebay. They arnt that common but do come up from time to time.

I got a second hand fully working 43P for 200.

SteveP

> Hi

> I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, so apologies
> in advance.

> I'm looking to get a second hand RS/6000 to use at home as I'm looking to
> get more into AIX.  I've had a search on the UK auction sites but had no
> joy.

> Anyone know of anywhere where I can get my hands on one, preferably a 43P,
> although anything else would be considered.

> Many thanks in advance

> Andrew

Second Hand RS/6000's in UK?

Post by Nick Hayne » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 22:50:12

> Hi

> I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, so apologies
> in advance.

> I'm looking to get a second hand RS/6000 to use at home as I'm looking to
> get more into AIX.  I've had a search on the UK auction sites but had no
> joy.

> Anyone know of anywhere where I can get my hands on one, preferably a 43P,
> although anything else would be considered.

> Many thanks in advance

> Andrew

Can recommend commercial source if this is any good to you.

Second Hand RS/6000's in UK?

Post by Erik Klui » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 23:45:50

Take a look at "For Sale/Want-to-buy" www.rootvg.net
Erik

Quote:> Hi

> I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, so
apologies
> in advance.

> I'm looking to get a second hand RS/6000 to use at home as I'm looking to
> get more into AIX.  I've had a search on the UK auction sites but had no
> joy.

> Anyone know of anywhere where I can get my hands on one, preferably a 43P,
> although anything else would be considered.

> Many thanks in advance

> Andrew

1. Remote unix (RS/6000) servers with dial-ins

Does any one out there have a following setup:

        Server:  RS/6000 servers at a remote site (e.g., California),
                 networked to an IBM mainframe (also at the same remote
                 site, possibly in an adjacent room and/or building) to
                 access large (GB and larger) datafiles.

        Users:   Dial-ins from another remote site (for example, Maine).
                 Users mostly dialing into the unix server to run large
                 compute-intensive jobs in the background (similar to batch
                 mode on the mainframe).  Most dial-up sessions would last
                 about 60-90 minutes over a 9600 baud line.

If you have/had a similar setup (or ever considered it), could you please
forward your experiences (good and bad), suggestions, do's and don'ts,
reliability, down time, performance, user satisfaction, and all other relevant
information.  Thanks in advance.

2. fsck troubles

3. RS/6000 error msgs (Was: Re: RS/6000 survey - will post summary)

4. Stop Usenet Censorship and Totalitarianism 0533113464

5. Fonts for InfoExplorer on RS/6000 (was: Re: Font problems on RS/6000 running X11R5)

6. FIXED: Floppy drive

7. FS IBM RS/6000 UK

8. HP problems

9. RS/6000 81 page report by Harley Hahn 'WANTED'

10. Second Ethernet wont work (RS/6000-550)

11. X-Windows and C++ on RT's and RS/6000's

12. Two of RS/6000 AIX questions

13. Mouses dead on two RS/6000 43P-140 systems