NIS problem on multivendor nis configuration

NIS problem on multivendor nis configuration

Post by news.. » Thu, 27 Aug 1992 19:52:38

Hello, I have a NIS configuration with the following servers:

master - sunos 4.1.2
slave  - AIX v3.1
slave  - AIX v3.2
slave  - risc/os 4.52

I have a aliases source file and aliases maps on the master. Whey I try to
push the aliases map to the servers I get:

bsparc# yppush -v mail.aliases
Finding NIS servers:Map ypslaves.bsparc unknown NIS client error code -- using y
pservers
 bibmrs2 bsparc bibm6k bcmips
bcmips has been called.
bibm6k has been called.
bsparc has been called.
bibmrs2 has been called.
Status received from ypxfr on bsparc:
        Transfer not done:  master's version isn't newer.
No response from ypxfr on bibmrs2
No response from ypxfr on bibm6k
No response from ypxfr on bcmips

In other words it doesn't work. But if I push a different map like:

bsparc# yppush -v ypservers
Finding NIS servers:Map ypslaves.bsparc unknown NIS client error code -- using y
pservers
 bibmrs2 bsparc bibm6k bcmips
bcmips has been called.
bibm6k has been called.
bsparc has been called.
bibmrs2 has been called.
Status received from ypxfr on bibm6k:
        Transfer not done:  master's version isn't newer.
Status received from ypxfr on bcmips:
        Transfer not done:  master's version isn't newer.
Status received from ypxfr on bibmrs2:
        Transfer not done:  master's version isn't newer.
Status received from ypxfr on bsparc:
        Transfer not done:  master's version isn't newer.

(In other words it works as designed)

Any ideas why aliases doesn't push but others do?

thanks,
Don

Don Hamparian - VAX/VMS Systems Support
              - Unix Systems Support Apprentice
              - Networking Systems Support

Information Dimensions. A subsidiary of Battelle Memorial Institute.

Phone 614.761.7445

USMail:   5080 Tuttle Crossing Bl., Dublin OH 43017.

Disclaimer: My views in no way represent those of my employer.

1. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

Hello,

I'v found some very old message about this problem in this group, but
there was no solution.

I' ve set up a NIS server on a Linux machine ( ubuntu 5.01)
following this howto
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO/index.html
http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/serveur/nis

everything seems to be ok
my sun machine is binded to ypserv on linux

inv09748 ( my linux nis server)

cao8:$1$JL6XpfxxxxxqctkdfFSycuu/:5008:5000::/home/cao8:/usr/bin/ksh

but when i try to log with cao8 => " incorrect login"

i can only log with root

loggued with root in can do :
su - cao8
and it works fine

so ... if someone can help, i will be very gracefull

(sorry for my english, i'm french)

2. Boot sector during NT, Linux, and '95 installations.

3. Request for Input on NFS, NIS, RPC In a Multivendor Environment

4. Help -New Linux user - can't make X work + other stuff

5. Would NIS+ master work with NIS+ & NIS Slave?????????

6. Solaris 7 install on SparcStation 2

7. NIS+ : Can an HP be a NIS client to a Sun NIS+ server

8. Accessing the unix file system from win95 machine

9. NIS+ Compatibility Mode (NIS Client - calendar problem)?

10. Solaris NIS server and Linux NIS client : problems

11. NIS+ NIS Compatability problems

12. NIS+ problems. NIS transition kit better ?

13. NIS+ (compat mode) problem with NIS clients