HELP: FTP Not Preserving Dates (NT to AIX)

HELP: FTP Not Preserving Dates (NT to AIX)

Post by Gus Protopapa » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

Here's my dilema:

I want to copy a directory from an NT Server to an AIX server, however when
I FTP the thing it loses all of the date and time information and makes it
all the current time of the transfer...  does anyone know how I could get
this stuff from NT to AIX while preserving file information.

Thanks,
Gus

Gus Protopapas, Network Administrator
RDS Tasks International
2100 Matheson Blvd. East, Suite 102
Mississauga, Ontario, L4W 5E1

Tel: (905) 206-7362
Fax: (905) 206-7390

Post by NICHOLAS DRON » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

: Here's my dilema:

: I want to copy a directory from an NT Server to an AIX server, however when
: I FTP the thing it loses all of the date and time information and makes it
: all the current time of the transfer...  does anyone know how I could get
: this stuff from NT to AIX while preserving file information.

: Thanks,
: Gus

I'm not aware of any flags or subcommands to ftp or ftpd that
would allow you to do this.  Perhaps you can use 'rcp' with
the '-p' flag.  Take a look at the man page for 'rcp' on the
limitations of '-p'.

HELP: FTP Not Preserving Dates (NT to AIX)

Post by Dick Wieling » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

You could try ftp-ing a tar file, extracting this preserves file date and
time

HELP: FTP Not Preserving Dates (NT to AIX)

Post by Jack Gos » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I want to copy a directory from an NT Server to an AIX server, however when
>I FTP the thing it loses all of the date and time information and makes it
>all the current time of the transfer...  does anyone know how I could get
>this stuff from NT to AIX while preserving file information.

And that is the problem with FTP. You can either us PKZIP or tar to
preserve the information about the files. Or use rcp -p.

--

Post by gdw » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

>You could try ftp-ing a tar file, extracting this preserves file date and
>time

Another option is to zip the files in the directory. An AIX zip program can
be
found on the www.bull.de site.
On the NT box you can unzip the zip files with well-known programs like
winzip.

Gerben.

1. Preserving date stamps in ftp

Hi there,

Is there a way I can preserve the date stamps when ftping files from ftp
sites?
On the Win95 side, WS_FTP Pro seems to be able to do it.
I'm using the basic ftp program in Linux 2.32

,,*,,,,,______/|___,i__/~~, ,. ,.' To reply remove the 's' in

 o       / )))       --_\      Vancouver, British Columbia
<tim><   ~~~\|----~~\   \     http://www.ugrad.cs.ubc.ca/spider/v8k1

2. Help with AIX4.2 transfer buffer count configuration?

3. Preserving File Date with FTP

4. HOW-TO detect IF an eg. 'program.exe' file

5. How do I preserve permissions via FTP to NT

6. awk program - output from

7. Help with FTP between AIX and NT.

8. New 4GB disk problems..

9. AIX and Windows NT: AIX RS6000 as a application and database server over an NT network ?

10. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

11. HELP! File lock not preserved across an exec() ?!

12. How To Preserve Stamped Date When Downloading from a WEB page/

13. Better alias for cpdir (preserve links, dates, & permissions)