how to log popper sessions under aix

Post by Pui Ming WO » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 07:44:27

I'd like to have each popper session (we run qpopper) into
the syslog file of our rs6k mail server running aix 4.3.2
My entry in /etc/syslog.conf is

mail.debug               /var/spool/mqueue/syslog

But it never has those entries.
How could i do it ?
--

Post by Chuck Geigne » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 03:51:39

> I'd like to have each popper session (we run qpopper) into
> the syslog file of our rs6k mail server running aix 4.3.2
> My entry in /etc/syslog.conf is

> mail.debug               /var/spool/mqueue/syslog

> But it never has those entries.
> How could i do it ?
> --

You can list a logfile in your syslog.conf, but until you create the
actual file, nothing will happen. Funny, but syslogd will not create the
logfiles it is instructed to use :)

so...

touch /var/spool/mqueue/syslog
chmod 750 /var/spool/mqueue/syslog

...and your popper should start to log activity
--
Chuck Geigner
AIX Sysop

how to log popper sessions under aix

Post by Pui Ming WO » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 03:31:12

: >
: > I'd like to have each popper session (we run qpopper) into
: > the syslog file of our rs6k mail server running aix 4.3.2
: > My entry in /etc/syslog.conf is
: >
: > mail.debug               /var/spool/mqueue/syslog
: >
: > But it never has those entries.
: > How could i do it ?
: > --

: You can list a logfile in your syslog.conf, but until you create the
: actual file, nothing will happen. Funny, but syslogd will not create the
: logfiles it is instructed to use :)
Actually my /var/spool/mqueue/syslog has always been there.
But it just logged the mail incoming/outgoing mails but never the
popper sessions.

how to log popper sessions under aix

Post by adam » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 00:51:19

Silly question maybe, but are you sure qpopper is logging to mail.debug
and has syslog turned on?  (Been a while since I've used qpopper so I
don't remember the defaults and didn't see anything in their online faq
about it.)

-adam