Run AIX on a Mac?

Post by Doug » Thu, 01 Mar 2001 11:58:19

Just curious if that can be done.  Figured with the PowerPC's, it might be
possible.  Anyone know or have any info?

Run AIX on a Mac?

Post by Benjamin Gawer » Thu, 01 Mar 2001 22:16:19

Quote:> Just curious if that can be done.  Figured with the PowerPC's, it might be
> possible.  Anyone know or have any info?

No, its not. The Mac-Hardware is too different from any RS/6000 or CHRP
platform so that AIX cant run on it. The only Macs that were able to run
AIX are the Apple Network Servers (ANS) which indeed were more RS/6000 than
real Macs.

But with the arrival of MacOS X I dont think its such a problem that AI
dont run on Macs...

Benjamin

Run AIX on a Mac?

Post by Cameron Kaise » Fri, 02 Mar 2001 00:47:02

>The only Macs that were able to run
>AIX are the Apple Network Servers (ANS) which indeed were more RS/6000 than
>real Mac's.

This is a popular misconception, so we'll quash this. The ANSes are actually
very similar to an overgrown Power Mac 9500 with several main differences:
the Symbios Logic Fast-and-Wide SCSI-II controller and the integrated
Cirrus Logic video card. Otherwise, the internal hardware is very similar.
In fact, if you pull the ANS ROMs and replace them with 9500 ROMs, and install
the ATI mach64 video card in the first PCI slot, you can boot MacOS on an ANS
(but only through the external SCSI port; MacOS doesn't know how to drive the
internal SCSI controller). Only the CPU card is specific to the ANS;
otherwise, it uses the same cache DIMMs and the same FPM/EDO memory as any
other Power Mac, with the exception that it can also use (very, very
expensive) parity FPM as well. It has standard GeoPorts and ADB as well.

The real nail in this is that you need the special Apple-branded AIX CDs to
run AIX on the ANS as it is. Regular IBM distributions will not work, and
will probably torch OpenFirmware in the process (having personally done so
with the AIX 4.1.4 Y2K patches -- thank goodness for recent backups and a
good PRAM zap).

stockholm, my AIX server, is an ANS 500 running AIX 4.1.4.

Quote:>But with the arrival of MacOS X I don't think it's such a problem that AIX
>don't run on Mac's...

Quite true, and if you're really after a Macintosh Unix today look at
LinuxPPC or even better, NetBSD which runs on both PowerPCs and 68k.

--

                 personal page: http://www.armory.com/~spectre/
  ** Computer Workshops: games, productivity software and more for C64/128! **