man pages text only question.

Post by ralph jacob » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

question :

hello!  we have aix 4.3.3 and i want to install the text man pages (man
<command>)
i don't want the html pages, only the text pages, can somebody tell me which
packages i should install using smit ?

we have all the aix cd's. but i assume that must use the base-documentation
cd.

please help me out, i will be thankfull.

--
r.jacobs - halfords and rbi music ltd.
http://www.rbi-music.com

man pages text only question.

Post by Stimp » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>question :

>hello!  we have aix 4.3.3 and i want to install the text man pages (man
><command>)
>i don't want the html pages, only the text pages, can somebody tell me which
>packages i should install using smit ?

>we have all the aix cd's. but i assume that must use the base-documentation
>cd.

>please help me out, i will be thankfull.

You can't, there is only the HTML version.
But when you install them ( base documentation cd )
you can use them similar to the way you want.

There is no difference in viewing between HTML and plain text.

Stimpy.

-= Wie met beide benen op de grond blijft staan, komt geen stap verder =-

Post by Giovanni Napol » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> >question :

> >hello!  we have aix 4.3.3 and i want to install the text man pages (man
> ><command>)
> >i don't want the html pages, only the text pages, can somebody tell me which
> >packages i should install using smit ?

> >we have all the aix cd's. but i assume that must use the base-documentation
> >cd.

> >please help me out, i will be thankfull.

> You can't, there is only the HTML version.
> But when you install them ( base documentation cd )
> you can use them similar to the way you want.

> There is no difference in viewing between HTML and plain text.

> Stimpy.

> -= Wie met beide benen op de grond blijft staan, komt geen stap verder =-

It is not really true.
After installing the AIX documentation, if you configure the workstation as a
documentation server then
you can have the text man pages (man command).

The problem is that when an AIX network client (configure it via wsm
system/Internet Environment)
asks for the man pages the answer from the server is very slow.

Are there any suggestions to speed up the remote man page searching ???

Thanks
Gianni

  gianni.napoli.vcf
< 1K Download

1. man page to text: question

What shell are you using? Aliases can't have arguments in the Bourne shell.
GNU Bash lets you define functions:

function man2txt() {
        man $1 | col -bx > $1.man

In the C shell, try this lame construct:

        alias man2txt 'man \!* | col -bx > \!*.man'

Have you considered turning the man page into PostScript instead with 'man -t'?

2. /usr/sww/lib Where is it?

3. text only man pages installation question.

4. compiling programs to use ld-linux.so.1 instead of ld-linux.so.2

5. Standard man pages to "Catted" man pages!

6. ftp

7. How to format BSD man pages (groff man) using "classical" troff man?

8. ARP

9. How can i ftp a specific man page as a text file?

10. Q:man page to text?

11. Converting Man Pages to Text Files

12. Q: Bold text in man pages?

13. Convert man page to text file?