OFFSUB: Recomendations for Terminal Server

OFFSUB: Recomendations for Terminal Server

Post by Ronny Petterse » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 07:55:53

Sorry for posting off topic.

Does anyone have any experience in which terminal server would be good
(or bad) in a mixed environment (RS/6000 boxes, switches etc -
RS232... with RJ45)?
Having some buffer on each port would be nice.

Even just a name would do, or one I should absolutely stay away from.

tia,
Ronny

OFFSUB: Recomendations for Terminal Server

Post by Scott L. Field » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 08:44:43

Can you be more specific in what you want to accomplish. As is, I can only

state some console server vendors:

Cyclades
Lantronix
Lightwave Communications
Apex

Post by Chris Co » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 03:15:44

> Can you be more specific in what you want to accomplish. As is, I can only

> state some console server vendors:

> Cyclades
> Lantronix
> Lightwave Communications
> Apex

I have used the Cyclades TS-2000, and really like it.  What I don't
like is the cost.. even on the small number of ports unit.

The Cyclades does not require any special client.. just telnet or
SSH (Prefering SSH of course!).

Can you tell me about any of these others??  Do they enable you to
contact the terminal server using normal clients or do they force
you to use a proprietary client?

I know this goes beyond the original poster's question... but I
am curious about what works and what doesn't work out there for
future purchase considerations.

Thanks,
Chris

>>Sorry for posting off topic.

>>Does anyone have any experience in which terminal server would be good
>>(or bad) in a mixed environment (RS/6000 boxes, switches etc -
>>RS232... with RJ45)?
>>Having some buffer on each port would be nice.

>>Even just a name would do, or one I should absolutely stay away from.

>>tia,
>>Ronny

OFFSUB: Recomendations for Terminal Server

Post by Scott L. Field » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 07:09:50

All the ones I mentioned except APEX accept straight telnet. I don't have any
real experience with these, since we are in the process of evaluating them. Apex
has a simple 16-port console server where you basically emulate a VT100 that has
16 session ports.

Personally, I don't think the Cyclades cost is all that prohibitive compared to
some other solutions I have seen.

> > Can you be more specific in what you want to accomplish. As is, I can only

> > state some console server vendors:

> > Cyclades
> > Lantronix
> > Lightwave Communications
> > Apex

> I have used the Cyclades TS-2000, and really like it.  What I don't
> like is the cost.. even on the small number of ports unit.

> The Cyclades does not require any special client.. just telnet or
> SSH (Prefering SSH of course!).

> Can you tell me about any of these others??  Do they enable you to
> contact the terminal server using normal clients or do they force
> you to use a proprietary client?

> I know this goes beyond the original poster's question... but I
> am curious about what works and what doesn't work out there for
> future purchase considerations.

> Thanks,
> Chris

> >>Sorry for posting off topic.

> >>Does anyone have any experience in which terminal server would be good
> >>(or bad) in a mixed environment (RS/6000 boxes, switches etc -
> >>RS232... with RJ45)?
> >>Having some buffer on each port would be nice.

> >>Even just a name would do, or one I should absolutely stay away from.

> >>tia,
> >>Ronny

OFFSUB: Recomendations for Terminal Server

Post by Ronny Petterse » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 07:08:33

Only to be able to get a console login to perform basic maintenance.
(when network is down, to access SMS if needed, reconfigure switches
and routers).
Having the chance to see what happend on the console right after the
box "died" could prove useful.
I don't need a TS that are able to accept incoming serial connections.
(modems and such).
It should be a 32port TS.

I don't really have that many other requirements.

The Cyclades ones looks interesting having ssh support and all.

If you have any experience with some (good or bad), that would be
useful input.

-Ronny

On Mon, 04 Feb 2002 17:44:43 -0600, "Scott L. Fields"

>Can you be more specific in what you want to accomplish. As is, I can only

>state some console server vendors:

>Cyclades
>Lantronix
>Lightwave Communications
>Apex

OFFSUB: Recomendations for Terminal Server

Post by Ronny Petterse » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 07:31:42

On Tue, 05 Feb 2002 16:09:50 -0600, "Scott L. Fields"

>All the ones I mentioned except APEX accept straight telnet. I don't have any
>real experience with these, since we are in the process of evaluating them. Apex
>has a simple 16-port console server where you basically emulate a VT100 that has
>16 session ports.

>Personally, I don't think the Cyclades cost is all that prohibitive compared to
>some other solutions I have seen.

From what I read about the Cyclades, I agree that the cost isn't bad
compared to some others I've read about.

Chris: Which other cheaper terminal servers would you say are about as
good as Cyclades?

Post by Jason Fortez » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 17:56:14

>> Can you be more specific in what you want to accomplish. As is, I can only

>> state some console server vendors:

>> Cyclades
>> Lantronix
>> Lightwave Communications
>> Apex

My shop has been using numerous Lightwave 3200's for quite awhile now.  For the
most part they have been great, but there a few things that slowly starting to
irritate me.

1)  Cost - A fully loaded 3200 is around $10k
2)  Stability - Occasionally the Console Server becomes unreachable via the
    network, you either to have to wait for it come back or bounce it.
3)  Ease of Use - While it provides a UNIX-esque environment, some of the
    commands are strange.  Also the management interface is hard to use and
    for whatever reason it *feels* slow, like it is operating over a 1200bps
    connection irregardless if you are using it over the network or over serial.
4)  Scalability - I wish they either made a 64 or 128 port version, or allowed
    some type of daisy-chaining where you could connect multiple boxen to form
    one big "logical" console server.
5)  Managability - Each console server only supports local authentication, there

    no support for NIS/NIS+/LDAP.  This gets to be a royal pain when you have
    several two or more console servers and lots of admins.
6)  Upgrades - I spoke to my sales rep last February about any upcoming features
    and he mentioned they were in the process of adding SSH support.  It is now
    a year later and the latest updates don't specifically mention it.
7)  Connectivity - You can have a maximum of 17 concurrent users.  There are 4
    slots reserved for network/terminal cards (which support 4 users each) and
    there is an optional modem card (1 user).  The thing that bugs me is that
    network card can only support up to 4 concurrent users.  Whether this is a
    hardware or software limitation I don't know.  Our standard configuration is

    3 network cards + 1 terminal card.  If 4 users are connected to network card
    "A" and a 5th user tries to connect, she will get a "Connection Refused"
    error.  She then needs to try the "B" and "C" IP addresses to try to
    connect.  Yes, I could very well put these behind a Local Director, but I'd
    prefer the console server handled this by itself.
8)  Security - Having to use telnet on the console server kinda negates using
    SSH everywhere else.  SSH2 support would be really swell.

Enough ranting for now, =).  Yes, I realize Lightwave has a newer product out
(the SCS1620 I believe) that addresses a lot of the issues I've pointed out.
But considering my company has already bought at least 8 of the 3200's, I don't
wanna throw them out.

I might try a Cyclades for our smaller remote sites and see how it works.

Hope this helps,

Jason Fortezzo
fortezzo at coserv dot net
---
If you have any trouble sounding condescending,
find a Unix user to show you how it's done.
                    --Scott Adams

OFFSUB: Recomendations for Terminal Server

Post by Mike Drechsler - SPAM Protecte » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 21:20:47

There are many many kinds of serial Terminal Servers on the market but your
best choice would probably be the Digi Portserver line.
(http://www.digi.com)

Digi is the company that IBM uses as the OEM for many of their accessories
for the RS6k series.  The best thing about that is the drivers that Digi
makes are really good.  If you need an ethernet connected terminal server
then I highly recommend the portserver line.  You don't need to install the
drivers if you only want to do telnet sessions into the machine but they
have a driver called a realport driver which lets you setup the ports on the
portserver as tty's on the unix machine.  This is great if you need to setup
printers or other devices that require a tty connection.

Best of all their boxes come in many sizes from 1 port up to an expandable
unit that can grow to 64 ports per unit.  It's kind of neat to be able to
throw a 2 port unit on a network connection in a remote office and have it
show up as a native tty or lp port in smit.

Oh did I mention their drivers are managed through Smit and not a command
line tool.  (Well they can be managed through the command line if you like
that sort of thing)

Definately one of the best choices in my opinion.
--
WARNING!  Email address has been altered for spam resistance.

Quote:> Sorry for posting off topic.

> Does anyone have any experience in which terminal server would be good
> (or bad) in a mixed environment (RS/6000 boxes, switches etc -
> RS232... with RJ45)?
> Having some buffer on each port would be nice.

> Even just a name would do, or one I should absolutely stay away from.

> tia,
> Ronny

OFFSUB: Recomendations for Terminal Server

Post by Marcio Sai » Sun, 10 Feb 2002 08:29:27

Hello.

I'm a Cyclades employee, so I'll refrain from praising my product. I
was here for different reasons and found this thread by accident, so
please don't consider this spam.

We publish and distribute a booklet on Console Management that
discusses the features you may want to look for when selecting a
Console Server (SSH v2, data buffering, clustering, break-safe, port
density, flexibility, etc).

I'm not going to claim the booklet is unbiased (I wrote it), but it
does not focus on products and I believe it can be useful to people
selecting console servers. The booklet can be requested from the web
site and is sent to you free of charge.

If anyone has questions on the Cyclades-TS, please feel free to
contact me by e-mail.

Regards,

Marcio Saito.
VP, Technology
Cyclades Corporation

> Sorry for posting off topic.

> Does anyone have any experience in which terminal server would be good
> (or bad) in a mixed environment (RS/6000 boxes, switches etc -
> RS232... with RJ45)?

[snip]

1. Recomendations for a terminal emulator needed

HELP!!  We are developing an application which runs on a PC running Xenix.
Occasionally when doing support we need to reproduce our application screens
remotely and we are looking for a communications program (preferably
commercial) which emulates the SCO Xenix color console.  This program should
run under MSDOS.  At this point in time, the only program we are aware of is
TERM from Century Software.  If anyone else out there in netland has a
recommendation, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.  Please send
any replies by Email since I doubt this is of general interest.

Continue reading for further information on our needs.

Our application runs under Xenix and we have need to reproduce our Xenix
screens remotely via an asynch comm link.  The remote screen will absolutely
(no negotiation possible) be a MSDOS based PC.  Our application uses terminfo
and curses, thus the emulator may actually differ from the SCO color console,
but must provide similar capabilities.

Requirements:

 - User Display Area is 25 lines by 80 columns (Line 25 MUST be available as
   a normal display line).

 - Handle ANSI X3.64 control sequences (output to the emulator).

 - Support color displays. (16 foreground, 8 background, blink)

 - Provide access to line drawing characters (both single and double) and a
   limited set of other graphic characters (filled triangles and arrows).

 - Pass most special function keys accross comm link.  (A remappable keyboard
   is highly desireable).

 - Be supported and available at little or no development cost.  (We are not
   interested in source, we want a product for which we can purchase immediatly
   useable copies.)

If you know of a product which might meet these requirements, please send your
recommendation to me.

Tony Bjerstedt
Unisys

2. Tell diff between listening socket and regular?

3. IBM RS/6000 F1-F24 & universal terminal type recomendations?

5. Terminals/terminal server

6. Sendmail doesnot work

7. Terminal hangs when connecting from terminal server

8. Advanced network configuration problem

9. Recomendations for SMTP server (with AUTH)

10. Need Server Hardware Recomendation

11. Mail Server Recomendations?

12. Simple pop3 server recomendation sought

13. server class ethernet card recomendations?