Install AIX V4.2.1 on H50 which installed AIX V4.3.2 already

Install AIX V4.2.1 on H50 which installed AIX V4.3.2 already

Post by Leo » Sun, 06 Jun 1999 04:00:00

It was found that the non-volatile memory corrupted after installing AIX
V4.2.1 on H50 which installed AIX V4.3.2 already (the machine cannot be
re-started and stopped at E1DC which was shown on the LED display).

Is there any method to downgrade the OS?

Many thanks!

Leo

Install AIX V4.2.1 on H50 which installed AIX V4.3.2 already

Post by Flemming Josephse » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

you have to shutdown the box, open it and remove the battery for about
20-30 minutes

then re-insert the battery and close up the box and it should boot just
fine..

Quote:>>>>> get and IBM CE onsite if you are in doubt about how to do this <<<<<<<

When it comes back up you'll have to re-define the bootlist

Post by Jose Pina Coelh » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> It was found that the non-volatile memory corrupted after installing AIX
> V4.2.1 on H50 which installed AIX V4.3.2 already (the machine cannot be
> re-started and stopped at E1DC which was shown on the LED display).

> Is there any method to downgrade the OS?

Leo, on CHRP machines you can either install the fixes (see fixdist in the
faq)
before downgrading or remove the batery (see manual for time & place) to
clean the NVRAM.

--
Doing AIX support was the most monty-pythonesque
activity available at the time.

Post by Michael Matte » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> you have to shutdown the box, open it and remove the battery for about
> 20-30 minutes

Leave the screwdriver in the toolbox ... ;-)

Quote:> >>>>> get and IBM CE onsite if you are in doubt about how to do this <<<<<<<

... if too expensive, try this one ...

1. power on system
2. open firmware in boot menu

enter:
dev /
[ok]
clear-nvram
[ok]
reset-all
[system reboots]

This works fine for SP/2 nodes. Should also work for all other RS6000's.
--
Michael Mattes        Project-Manager for IT-Architecture & -Management
Bergmoserstrasse 9, 82131 Gauting, Germany    Phone/Fax: +49 89 8503748

Post by Dave » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>> you have to shutdown the box, open it and remove the battery for about
>> 20-30 minutes

>Leave the screwdriver in the toolbox ... ;-)

<<<<<<<

>... if too expensive, try this one ...

>1. power on system
>2. open firmware in boot menu

>enter:
>dev /
>[ok]
>clear-nvram
>[ok]
>reset-all
>[system reboots]

>This works fine for SP/2 nodes. Should also work for all other RS6000's.
>--
>Michael Mattes        Project-Manager for IT-Architecture & -Management
>Bergmoserstrasse 9, 82131 Gauting, Germany    Phone/Fax: +49 89 8503748
>--------------- Currently in charge of ISD GmbH, Munich ---------------
>  Disclaimer: The opinions,  etc. expressed within are  mine and thus
>              not necessarily conformant to those of my customers ...

Uuh, no matter which method you choose, you may have a problem if IBM does
any sort of diagnostics during a service call.  Most of the IBM CE's have
now, or will have the newer (e.g. 4.3 based) diagnostics CD.  If they boot
your 4.2.1 system on the new CD, then you're right back to the same problem
when you try to boot with 4.2.  Believe it or not, the bug is actually in
4.2, not 4.3.  I would install the fixes if you ever plan on booting the
machine into diagnostics....

Install AIX V4.2.1 on H50 which installed AIX V4.3.2 already

Post by Matthew S. Cro » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>1. power on system
>2. open firmware in boot menu

>enter:
>dev /
>[ok]
>clear-nvram
>[ok]
>reset-all
>[system reboots]

>This works fine for SP/2 nodes. Should also work for all other RS6000's.

Normally this would be a good idea, but the E1DC hang happens before
the OF interface is available.

1. Installing PERL on Aix v4.3.2

I don't have a C compiler on my AIX machine and so have downloaded a
binary version from the Public Domain Software Library for AIX.

I have uncompressed the file and untarred it (using the -p option to
preserve permissions). There are no install instructions that I can find
(nor any on the download site) and when I invoke Perl I get the
following messages:

0509-036 Cannot load program Perl because of the following errors:

0509-023 Symbol _posix_getpwuid_r in ksh is not defined

followed by a number of similar messages with different symbols.

There is obviously some further install processes that I need to run.
Anyone know what they are or can point me to a manual?

Thanks

Barrie Minnis

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. prerequisities for zmodem?

3. C for AIX v3.1.4 and AIX v4.3.2

4. Enlightenment 0.15.5 not setting backgrounds?

5. SSH for AIX v4.3.2

6. MSIE 4 & Netscape Enterprise cgi+frames problem

7. AIX V4.3.2 Network License Manager (ifor_ls)

8. Reading data from a file and storing it into a variable from a Bourne shell script file

9. AIX v4.2.1 and model320

10. high vmstat "CS" values with Domino R5 on AIX v4.3.2

11. Upgrading AIX from V3.2.5 to V4.3.2

12. NV6000 V4.2.1 & AIX 4.3.1

13. AIX v4.3.2 sendmail problem