Second IP address

Post by Jim Barrentin » Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I need to assign two IP addresses (different subnets and gateways) to a
single NIC card.  My ISP is changing and so are my IP addresses.  During
the changeover I want my AIX server to respond to both its old and its
new IP address.  Can this be done?

In my case the old address of the server is 198.76.208.197 and the new
one will be 64.26.68.197.  It appears that the ifconfig command will let
me assign a second IP address but I dont see a way to assign a second
gateway.

If this can be done can someone give me the exact syntax of the command
to do this as I am certainly no AIX expert?

Please reply directly.

Thanks.

Jim

Second IP address

Post by Matthew Land » Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> I need to assign two IP addresses (different subnets and gateways) to a
> single NIC card.  My ISP is changing and so are my IP addresses.  During
> the changeover I want my AIX server to respond to both its old and its
> new IP address.  Can this be done?

> In my case the old address of the server is 198.76.208.197 and the new
> one will be 64.26.68.197.  It appears that the ifconfig command will let
> me assign a second IP address but I dont see a way to assign a second
> gateway.

> If this can be done can someone give me the exact syntax of the command
> to do this as I am certainly no AIX expert?

> Please reply directly.

> Thanks.

> Jim

Assuming interface is en0

ifconfig en0 up alias 64.26.68.197 255.255.255.0 #or your correct
subnet.

Add it to /etc/rc.net if you want it there after boot.

To remove

ifconfig en0 delete 64.26.68.197

After the completion of the change over, remove the alias thing
from /etc/rc.net, and use smitty chinet to change the address
perm to the new one.

 - Matt

Second IP address

Post by Dave Marquard » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> > I need to assign two IP addresses (different subnets and gateways) to a
> > single NIC card.  My ISP is changing and so are my IP addresses.  During
> > the changeover I want my AIX server to respond to both its old and its
> > new IP address.  Can this be done?

> > In my case the old address of the server is 198.76.208.197 and the new
> > one will be 64.26.68.197.  It appears that the ifconfig command will let
> > me assign a second IP address but I dont see a way to assign a second
> > gateway.

> > If this can be done can someone give me the exact syntax of the command
> > to do this as I am certainly no AIX expert?

> > Please reply directly.

> > Thanks.

> > Jim

> Assuming interface is en0

> ifconfig en0 up alias 64.26.68.197 255.255.255.0 #or your correct
> subnet.

> Add it to /etc/rc.net if you want it there after boot.

If you're running 4.3.0 or higher, you can use SMIT to add an IPv4
alias to the en0 ODM entry.  Then you don't need to modify /etc/rc.net.

Quote:> After the completion of the change over, remove the alias thing
> from /etc/rc.net, and use smitty chinet to change the address
> perm to the new one.

Similarly, you can use SMIT to manipulate this ODM information.

-Dave

Post by peter_rei.. » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> > I need to assign two IP addresses (different subnets and gateways)
to a
> > single NIC card.  My ISP is changing and so are my IP addresses.
During
> > the changeover I want my AIX server to respond to both its old and
its
> > new IP address.  Can this be done?

> > In my case the old address of the server is 198.76.208.197 and the
new
> > one will be 64.26.68.197.  It appears that the ifconfig command will
let
> > me assign a second IP address but I dont see a way to assign a
second
> > gateway.

> > If this can be done can someone give me the exact syntax of the
command
> > to do this as I am certainly no AIX expert?

> > Please reply directly.

> > Thanks.

> > Jim

> Assuming interface is en0

> ifconfig en0 up alias 64.26.68.197 255.255.255.0 #or your correct
> subnet.

> Add it to /etc/rc.net if you want it there after boot.

> To remove

> ifconfig en0 delete 64.26.68.197

> After the completion of the change over, remove the alias thing
> from /etc/rc.net, and use smitty chinet to change the address
> perm to the new one.

>  - Matt

Matt,

Am I missing something here?  How does this set the gateway?  And how do
you check what address/mask/gate combinations are set on the interface?

Pete

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Second IP address

Post by Matthew Land » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> > > I need to assign two IP addresses (different subnets and gateways)
> to a
> > > single NIC card.  My ISP is changing and so are my IP addresses.
> During
> > > the changeover I want my AIX server to respond to both its old and
> its
> > > new IP address.  Can this be done?

> > > In my case the old address of the server is 198.76.208.197 and the
> new
> > > one will be 64.26.68.197.  It appears that the ifconfig command will
> let
> > > me assign a second IP address but I dont see a way to assign a
> second
> > > gateway.

> > > If this can be done can someone give me the exact syntax of the
> command
> > > to do this as I am certainly no AIX expert?

> > > Please reply directly.

> > > Thanks.

> > > Jim

> > Assuming interface is en0

> > ifconfig en0 up alias 64.26.68.197 255.255.255.0 #or your correct
> > subnet.

> > Add it to /etc/rc.net if you want it there after boot.

> > To remove

> > ifconfig en0 delete 64.26.68.197

> > After the completion of the change over, remove the alias thing
> > from /etc/rc.net, and use smitty chinet to change the address
> > perm to the new one.

> >  - Matt

> Matt,

> Am I missing something here?  How does this set the gateway?  And how do
> you check what address/mask/gate combinations are set on the interface?

> Pete

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

First sorry, I had the wrong ifconfig command, the broadcast, not the
netmask was being set.

   ifconfig tr0 up alias 192.168.100.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

There is only one gateway.  All adaters should show the same.  To check
the
address/mask/gate combos use `smitty mktcpip`.  The gateway should be
the
same for all interfaces.  If you change it on one you change it on
another.

Now since you have an alias, you won't see all the addresses and masks.
But the gateway still holds for all IP/MASK interfaces.

To see the IP/mask use `ifconfig <interface>`.  The mask is in hex so
you need to be able to understand hex->decimal representation.  Here
is an example of my interface (with alias)

# ifconfig tr0
tr0: flags=e0a0043<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,ALLCAST,MULTICAST,GROUPRT,64BIT>
        inet 9.53.111.88 netmask 0xfffffe00 broadcast 9.53.111.255
        inet 192.168.100.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.255.255

`netstat -i` (or -in) will show the interfaces too.
 - Matt

Second IP address

Post by Urban A. Haa » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Peter,

Quote:> > Matt,

> > Am I missing something here?  How does this set the gateway?

> > Pete

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

> There is only one gateway.  All adaters should show the same.  To check
> the
> address/mask/gate combos use `smitty mktcpip`.  The gateway should be
> the
> same for all interfaces.  If you change it on one you change it on
> another.

You could use routed or gated dynamic routing until the switch over is
complete. That way you should pick up routing updates and hopefully it will
switch over when the router changes from one IP address to the other.

--
Urban A. Haas
CEO - Urban Technology, Inc.

Web: http://www.urbantechnology.com

This e-mail was composed of 100% recycled bits.

1. two ip addresses / two gateways / one machine?

    Can someone please help me out.  I have a linux box at work with one
network card.  The computer resides on two networks, the internal
network for the business (at 10.200.3.18) and the Internet (at
209.107.24.146).  I have no problem getting the computer to connect to
either network individually through their respective gateways (at
10.200.3.1 and 209.107.3.129), but I'd like to be able to configure eth0
to claim both IP addresses at the same time (I've been able to set up
IP-aliasing without any problems) and use both gateways at the same
time, chooing the appropriate one to connect to either network.
    It's setting up route to use both gateways that I've been unable to
do, yet.  Is there someway to do this?  I've been throught the manpages,
the how-tos, and have even visited the LDP, but I haven't found what I'm
looking for.
    This is what I've got so far:

ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
ifconfig eth0 up
ifconfig eth0 209.107.24.146
ifconfig eth0:0 10.200.3.18
route add -net 127.0.0.0
route add -net 209.107.24.128 dev eth0
route add -host 209.107.24.146 dev eth0
route add default gw 209.107.24.129

No problems so far...  My computer sees the Internet with no problems.
Now how do I go about setting it up so it can see the internal network?
I've tried:

route add -net 10.200.3.0 dev eth0:0 but I get the error "SIOCADDRT:
Invalid argument"

Anyway, I'm stumped.  Any help would be apprecated.

Adam K

2. ASN.1 Compiler...

3. One Process on the machine having two IP address and two ethernet interface.

4. Linux on an HP OmniBook XE, possible?

5. Two NICs (1ethernet+ 1 ATM), two IP addresses, same subnet ... illeagal?

6. CVS and firewall??

7. two ip address / two gateways / one computer?

8. No 2nd IDE

9. Can Netscape Enterprise Server bind two ip address

10. Two IP addresses on one NIC

11. Two IP addresses on one interface?

12. Why I am getting two IP addresses when I connect to my work through VPN

13. Two IP addresses