Legato client and AIX 4.2 install woes -

Legato client and AIX 4.2 install woes -

Post by Michael W. Fols » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Folks:

I'm trying to install a new version of the Legato Networker client,
release 5.5.1, on an AIX 4.2 box.

Disk space is limited so I'm putting it outside of it normal place.

I've tried the install a couple of times and it goes well till the end
where..........

Quote:> Start NetWorker daemons at end of install [yes]? yes
>        Installing NetWorker home directory in /u2/nsr
>        nsr-izing system files
>        nsr-izing system files
>        Creating /etc/rc.nsr
>        /etc/inittab already nsr-ized
> cp: ./gls/cm/registry: A file or directory in the path name does not
exist.
> nsr_ize: unexpected return code 1

Advice - suggestions?

Thanks!
Michael Folsom

Legato client and AIX 4.2 install woes -

Post by Gurpree » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00

We upgraded from Networker 5.1 to 5.5.1 on AIX 4.2.1 initially
and then 4.3.2.

We had a lot of issues - many which were associated with index
corruption. Apparently Networker modifies the nsrjb.res file
during update and it doesn't work right afterwards.

We had to:

Make sure you have a clean running of nsrck -F before continuing.
For nsrck -F to run well - you need at lease twice the
filesystems space available. Legato recommends running it 5
times.

1. Copy the old nsrjb.res save it  (you'll need it).
2. Allow Networker to create a new nsjb.res file with upgrade.
3. Recreate jukebox definitions.
4. Write a script that would take the Volumes listed in the
nsrjb.res file for each jukebox and Add volume/inventory each
volume. We were dealing with about 500 tapes.
5. After this we were able to to saveset recovers. However, the
file index - which allows you to browse files via nwrecover had
holes in it. Our browse policy was set to a month. We figured in
a month's time that index would be fully refreshed and in the
mean time we'd use saveset recovers.

BTW - It made it a lot easier for use to backup up Networker and
to install Networker if we chose to use a separate filesystem for
the install files (including man files). We loaded everything
into /nsr. Man files are in /nsr/man. Binaries are in /nsr/bin.
To backup the installation we just backup /nsr with Networker
down.

Hope this helps you out.

Gurpreet

NOTE: The opionions expressed here are my own do not necessarily
represent those of my company.

>Folks:

>I'm trying to install a new version of the Legato Networker
client,
>release 5.5.1, on an AIX 4.2 box.

>Disk space is limited so I'm putting it outside of it normal
place.

>I've tried the install a couple of times and it goes well till
the end
>where..........

>> Start NetWorker daemons at end of install [yes]? yes
>>        Installing NetWorker home directory in /u2/nsr
>>        nsr-izing system files
>>        nsr-izing system files
>>        Creating /etc/rc.nsr
>>        /etc/inittab already nsr-ized
>> cp: ./gls/cm/registry: A file or directory in the path name
does not
>exist.
>> nsr_ize: unexpected return code 1

>Advice - suggestions?

>Thanks!
>Michael Folsom

Legato client and AIX 4.2 install woes -

Post by Michael Alvare » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Gurpreet,

Its Mike Alvarez here from Canac/Microtel days, remember?  I now work in
Philly.  To everyone, I apologize for this post.

Mike

1. AIX 4.2 as a PPP client using ISDN

Hi,

I have a 3AT running 4.2 which I want to set up as a PPP client running
over ISDN to an NT box. I'm using a Motorola BitSurfr Pro which works
like a charm with my PC... My questions are:

1. Can the 3AT's serial ports handle the 128000bps bandwidth?
2. Has anyone any experience with this setup who could give me a few
pointers?

Thanks,

Alex.

--
Alex Matthews

http://www.xelacom.com/

2. launching CDE from console login session?

3. Can't run java ftp client on AIX 4.2

4. Microsoft mouse with wheel config

5. AIX 4.2 PPP client connect routing

6. PS/2 bus mouse...whats the dev?

7. AIX 4.2 Sendmail en Eudora Clients

8. sokcets/fork question

9. Solstice backup 4.2 (legato or nsr) question

10. Install AIX 4.2 on new RS6000 B50

11. Installing Fortran Complier on AIX 4.2

12. AIX 4.2 Fails Perl Test and GD install

13. AIX 4.2 -4.3 Install Question