mksysb

Post by Shannon St. Denni » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

We have an F50 with a 8mm - 20Gb  Mammoth Tape drive

When I do a mksysb with a 20Gb tape, it works fine

If I try to mksysb with an older 7Gb tape, it fails as follows:

11:ROOT > mksysb -i /dev/rmt0

Creating information file (/image.data) for rootvg..

Creating tape boot image....
0301-161 bosboot: dd failed to copy /dev/rmt0.1.

0301-165 bosboot: WARNING! bosboot failed - do not attempt to boot device.

0512-016 mksysb: Attempt to create a bootable tape failed:
        bosboot -d /dev/rmt0.1 -a failed with return code 48.

11:ROOT >

I can tar and dd to the tape, just not with a mksysb with the smaller tape.

Ideas?  Is it just not possible to create a bootable image on the smaller
tape?

Shannon St. Dennis
City of Regina

mksysb

Post by Urban A. Haa » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Shannon,

The 20GB drive uses a different tape than the 7GB drive. You probably have the
wrong type of 8mm tape.

Cheers!

Urban

--
Urban A. Haas
CEO - Urban Technology, Inc.

Phone: (952) 595-8810    Fax: (952) 595-8710

This e-mail was composed of 100% recycled bits.

mksysb

Post by Leo Phoeni » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

We have the same, the tape drive can only take 20gb tape, but if you put a 7gb
tape in the drive you can read from it & restore but can't write to.

> We have an F50 with a 8mm - 20Gb  Mammoth Tape drive

> When I do a mksysb with a 20Gb tape, it works fine

> If I try to mksysb with an older 7Gb tape, it fails as follows:

> 11:ROOT > mksysb -i /dev/rmt0

> Creating information file (/image.data) for rootvg..

> Creating tape boot image....
> 0301-161 bosboot: dd failed to copy /dev/rmt0.1.

> 0301-165 bosboot: WARNING! bosboot failed - do not attempt to boot device.

> 0512-016 mksysb: Attempt to create a bootable tape failed:
>         bosboot -d /dev/rmt0.1 -a failed with return code 48.

> 11:ROOT >

> I can tar and dd to the tape, just not with a mksysb with the smaller tape.

> Ideas?  Is it just not possible to create a bootable image on the smaller
> tape?

> Shannon St. Dennis
> City of Regina

mksysb

Post by John Jaszcza » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I seem to recall that the Mammoth can read the older tapes, but was unable
to write to the older tapes. The Mammoth is actually manufactured by
Exabyte, so if you go out to their website www.exabyte.com you'll find all
the specifics on what the mammoth can and cannot do. When you say you can
tar and dd to the tape, did you also check to see that you can read back
what you wrote?
One other issue, once you insert a Metal Oxide tape into a Mammoth, you will
have to run the tape cleaner through it before you can use an AME tape.

-JAZZ