Question running C++ compiled application on newer OS version versus on older OS versions of AIX?

Question running C++ compiled application on newer OS version versus on older OS versions of AIX?

Post by Jt » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 09:18:14

My question is, taking the latest AIX C++ 6.0 compiled binary on a 5.2
version and running it on an older version AIX OS such n such as 3.2 to a
4.1 version, will there be any complications for that binary to execute? Is
so, can you please give me some examples?

Appreciate any input you can give me.

Thank you,
Jt

Post by Nicholas Drone » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 12:28:51

> My question is, taking the latest AIX C++ 6.0 compiled binary on a 5.2
> version and running it on an older version AIX OS such n such as 3.2 to a
> 4.1 version, will there be any complications for that binary to execute? Is
> so, can you please give me some examples?

Any compiled program -- C, C++, FORTRAN, whatever -- is not guaranteed
to run on a version of the operating system lower than that on which
it was compiled.  It's as simple as that.  If you're thinking about
supporting your application on a 3.2 system, install 3.2 on a box
and build on it.  Otherwise, forget about it.

Regards,

Nicholas

--
Do not reply to USENET posts, at least to mine, by email.

Question running C++ compiled application on newer OS version versus on older OS versions of AIX?

Post by Jt » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 13:16:50

Thank you.
Jt

> > My question is, taking the latest AIX C++ 6.0 compiled binary on a 5.2
> > version and running it on an older version AIX OS such n such as 3.2 to
> > 4.1 version, will there be any complications for that binary to execute?
Is
> > so, can you please give me some examples?

> Any compiled program -- C, C++, FORTRAN, whatever -- is not guaranteed
> to run on a version of the operating system lower than that on which
> it was compiled.  It's as simple as that.  If you're thinking about
> supporting your application on a 3.2 system, install 3.2 on a box
> and build on it.  Otherwise, forget about it.

> Regards,

> Nicholas

> --
> Do not reply to USENET posts, at least to mine, by email.

1. Can I run metro-linx 1.2.4 motif version on newer Xfree version?

Hello:
I have an older version of metro-linx motif, version 1.2.4.  It doesn't
seem to like my libXt.so.6.  It is looking for libXt.so.3.  Is there
a way around this?  Or do I have to upgrade to a more recent version
of motif?  Or do I have to run with an older version of X windows?

I tried making a link from /usr/lib/libXt.so.3 to point at
/usr/X11/aout/lib/libXt.so.6

Turns out that now Yggdrasil is elf.  And I suspect that the vintage
motif (a year old, which is eons in linux development years...) is
a.out format.

Thanks for your help...
--
Chris Mason

"The Unknown COBOL Programmer"

The opinions expressed are mine, not my Employers.

2. RISC (Reduced Instruction-Set Chip) vs. CISC

3. Is there newer version of os-bs123 boot utility

4. Solaris 8 print server setup problem

5. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.networking

6. Low latency for recent kernels

7. AIX: install. over older AIX version HOW

8. pkgadd question

9. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.questions, comp.os.linux.misc

10. AIX C 3.1.4 compiler generated executables not portable to older AIX Versions

11. Version PPP-2.1.2b ... Newer Version?

12. xfree86 update fails (module ABI minor Version is newer than the server's version)

13. AIX OS Version