Need help: lost console output

Post by Dusit Tansathe » Sun, 09 Aug 1992 09:30:02

Hi,

Our office was struck by lightning last week.  After the investigation of all
computer equipments, I find out that the console of our IBM RS/6000 running
IBM AIX Version 3.1 is not working properly - I have the data line monitor
connected between the console port (/dev/tty0) and the console terminal, and I
am able to log in and do whatever I want.  However, the output shows up on the
data line monitor screen but it does not display on the console terminal
(IBM 3151).  There is a reverse question mark (?) displayed just before the
cursor on the terminal.  According to the manual, I check the terminal
communication setup, and everything looks OK to me.  I also connect this
terminal with another serial port (/dev/tty1) and assign the console as well as
redirect the console output to this port.  After rebooting the system, the
console's login prompt shows up!.  Because of this result, I conclude that the
serial device (S1) was corrupted so I try to move the console port to the other
device (S2) but it does not work (I may do something wrong!), and I also try to
remove and recreate /dev/tty0 but it does not work either.
Does anyone have suggestions that can help me solve this problem?
Any information would be appreciated.  I'm fairly new to this news group, so I
hope I post this question to the right group.

Thanks in advance,