Japanese and English keyboard on 4.1.3?

Post by Per Gunna » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

What settings should be used for using an English keyboard
layout to input Japanese characters?

I would prefer to have English menus and error messages but
I would like to be able to input Japanese characters.

Per

 Manager, Customer Support                        Tel: +81-6-399-7091
 Kockums Computer Systems K.K.                    Fax: +81-6-399-7092
 Sumitomo Seimei Shin-Osaka Kita Bldg. 11F        Web: http://www.kcs.se/
 4-1-14 Miyahara, Yodogawa-ku
 Osaka 532, JAPAN

1. Japanese Solaris with English keyboard

As someone that has installed numerous copies of the Japanese
version of Solaris (2.5.1, 2.6, 7) on Sparc machines, I feel I can
answer 2 out of 3 of your questions.

1)  Yes.  It works without problem whatsoever.

2)  "rohmaji input" method is pretty much standard.  The keyset my have
kana written on them but almost all computers and word processor
machines support alphabet character input method.  In fact, I don't
know anyone that can input Japanese with anything OTHER than
romaji input.

3)  That, I can't answer.  I wouldn't mind getting rid of some of our
Japanese keyboards but I don't we'd be allowed to sell them.

One caveat I will make.  If you are used to US standard keyboard, use
that instead.  Using a Japanese keyboard under Unix in Japanese is
really anoying because a lot of the symbol characters e.g. * | _ ' etc
are in different places and it is REALLY annoying if you are a touch
typist on US keyboards.

--

     "I don't pretend I have all the answers/Just the obvious ones"
                    --_Backbone_ by Baby Animals

2. q: solaris bsm and triteal desktop

3. Good OCR Package? (English and/or Japanese)

4. Apache compilation and installation

5. How to view/edit Japanese text on English Solaris 2.5.1

6. bash & /dev/lp0

7. English and Japanese Solaris 2.6 on Ultra 60?

8. SCSI Tape drive write protect problem

9. Japanese writiong under English Linux?

10. English to Japanese

11. SMTP gateway between Linux and cc:Mail + japanese/english

12. Installed RH 7 in english when its starts its all Japanese !!!

13. new Zaurus 5600/B500 and C700 seen in Japan, observations and Japanese/English/OpenZaurus questions