Easy console question

Post by Chris » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

Does anyone know where to disable logging telnet and ftp information to the
console? Whenever someone logs in, we get a message similar to this:

80976 execl /usr/sbin/telnetd

Thanks,

Chris

Easy console question

Post by Damir Wilde » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Check in /etc/syslog.conf for entries that write to /dev/console and change
them to write to a file instead (or you can delete them, for that matter).
Hope this helps...
    Damir Wilder

Quote:> Hi all,

> Does anyone know where to disable logging telnet and ftp information to
the
> console? Whenever someone logs in, we get a message similar to this:

> 80976 execl /usr/sbin/telnetd

> Thanks,

> Chris

Easy console question

Post by Bill He » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>Does anyone know where to disable logging telnet and ftp information to the
>console? Whenever someone logs in, we get a message similar to this:

>80976 execl /usr/sbin/telnetd

Have you looked at the /etc/syslog.conf ?

Note, if you make a change, you'll need to recycle the syslogd:
        refresh -s syslogd

Regards,

MWH

Easy console question

Post by Chris » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I have checked /etc/syslog.conf and all the lines are commented out. I
checked the same file on another box (59H) that does not have this "problem"
and the file is exactly the same.

I am trying to see if there's something in SMIT that may turn the logging
off.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

> Check in /etc/syslog.conf for entries that write to /dev/console and
change
> them to write to a file instead (or you can delete them, for that matter).
> Hope this helps...
>     Damir Wilder

> > Hi all,

> > Does anyone know where to disable logging telnet and ftp information to
> the
> > console? Whenever someone logs in, we get a message similar to this:

> > 80976 execl /usr/sbin/telnetd

> > Thanks,

> > Chris

Easy console question

Post by Bill He » Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>I have checked /etc/syslog.conf and all the lines are commented out. I
>checked the same file on another box (59H) that does not have this "problem"
>and the file is exactly the same.

Has the syslogd been recycled (or the box rebooted) since any changes
were made to the syslog.conf file (look at the file date stamp)?

Regards,

MWH

Easy console question

Post by Chris » Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Has the syslogd been recycled (or the box rebooted) since any changes
> were made to the syslog.conf file (look at the file date stamp)?

The box reboots daily and the time stamp on the file is the date of the
original install (August '99)
This is not a major issue, but I thank you for taking the time to discuss it
with me.

Easy console question

Post by Ted Linne » Sat, 17 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Have you done an lscons on each box.
This will tell you where the /dev/console output is directed to.
It should return /dev/tty0, /dev/lft0 or a file name.

swcons /path/logfile will redirect console output to the file.

The 59H may do an swcons in one of its startup scripts.

Ted.

Quote:>I have checked /etc/syslog.conf and all the lines are commented out. I
>checked the same file on another box (59H) that does not have this "problem"
>and the file is exactly the same.

>I am trying to see if there's something in SMIT that may turn the logging
>off.

>Thanks for the help.

>Chris

| BSc GradDipDP CNA MACS PCP                                 |
| Nunawading, Victoria , Australia                           |