The ARG_MAX kernel value

Post by Morten Erikse » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I was wondering if its possible to tune the kernel value for the size
allocated to shell argument lines under AIX? (I.e. the ARG_MAX
constant which is "guilty" of those "arg list too long" messages).

Other Unix systems provides simple measures for this (SGI IRIX can do
it with ``systune'', and I seem to remember that HPUX can do it
through SAM), but I haven't found a way to do this under AIX (as long
as I don't have the sourcecode, that is..).

Regards,
Morten Eriksen

The ARG_MAX kernel value

Post by Gary R. Hoo » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I was wondering if its possible to tune the kernel value for the size
> allocated to shell argument lines under AIX? (I.e. the ARG_MAX
> constant which is "guilty" of those "arg list too long" messages).

No, it is not possible to change ARG_MAX.

--
Gary R. Hook / AIX Kernel Development, IBM / These opinions are _MINE_
A piece of canvas is only the beginning