RAID 5 or RAID 0&1

Post by Richard Curle » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 04:38:49

I contacted my software vendor regarding their recommendation on the
configuration of 4 drives that will hold their software.  I was originally
thinking of using four disks in a RAID 5 configuration.  However, they
reported that they had seen better results with setting up two disks in a
RAID 0 configuration and then using the other two disks to mirror the disks
that were stripped.  Any thoughts about this?

Thank...Rich

RAID 5 or RAID 0&1

Post by snogfest hosebeas » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 05:26:45

Performance-wise, I tested all the options, and found that LVM striping was
the quickest.

Quote:> I contacted my software vendor regarding their recommendation on the
> configuration of 4 drives that will hold their software.  I was originally
> thinking of using four disks in a RAID 5 configuration.  However, they
> reported that they had seen better results with setting up two disks in a
> RAID 0 configuration and then using the other two disks to mirror the
disks
> that were stripped.  Any thoughts about this?

> Thank...Rich

RAID 5 or RAID 0&1

Post by Sarad » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:57:34

Hi Richard,

  I guess you are using host based raid configuration through software.

 Anyway, RAID-5 volumes will incur lot of cost for writes and

 syncing if some failure occured. Besides that, they consume lot of

 memory resources (normally double that that of a mirrored/stripoed

 volume). So, definitely we always have peformance benifit using in

 RAID 0 and RAID 1. Since, mirroring is done, you do acquire

 redundancy.

 Besides that RAID-5 does not ensure redundancy if failure occurs

 on more than one column.

 Hope the above helps.

-Thanks,

 Saradhi.