Problem to mount Linux CD-ROM via NFS

Post by Jack Ye » Sat, 18 May 2002 00:57:57

Hi all,
    I have a problem to mount an IDE CD-ROM which exported by a RedHat 7.2
Linux machine.
My configuration on Linux machine is as follows.
Linux: /etc/exports
    /mnt/cdrom        *(ro, no_root_squash, insecure)

after exportfs or restart the nfs daemon on Linux machine, I can mount that
exported filesystem by following command.

mount 10.10.1.24:/mnt/cdrom /cdrom

But the problem I encountered is that I can't use this mounted filesystem
well.
Whenever I use this filesystem for a while, it would hang and didn't
response any more.
But I can use "ls" command to browse the contant of CD-ROM once I mounted
that filesystem on my AIX machine.

Could any one tell me what happen? And how to solve this problem? Thank in
advance!!

Any help will be appreciated.

Jack

1. CD-ROM, mounted via NFS on a remote machine access denied

When I mount the CD-ROM to my directory "/usr/kit" or to any other, I have
no trouble viewing the contents of the CD-ROM on the local machine.

When I mount the "/usr/kit" directory on another SCO Box or even a Win
3.11 client I can do so, as long as the CD-ROM isn't attached to it.
If the CD-ROM isn't mounted to the "/usr/kit" directory, then mounting is
easy and painless.  If the CD-ROM is attached the remote device says
"access denied".

I tried attaching the Win3.11 first then the CD-ROM, no errors, and no
information from the ROM.

I have checked and verifed the "showmount -e" does in fact return:

/usr/kit   (everyone)
/pub/cdrom (everyone)

Are there any better ways to work on the CD-ROM to be seen on the network,
I have tried several other directories and have checked that they to are
in the "/etc/exports" with world access.

This happens on either machine:

OpenServer 5.0.2
OpenServer 5.0.4

They both have NFS and function just great with mounting any
directory, as long as the CD-ROM isn't attached to it.

What did I miss ?

2. The Has to be a Better Way (???)

4. Netra go down under Debian

5. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

6. Is a quiet Opteron workstation possible?

7. NFS mounting a vold mounted CD-ROM

8. 28.8 Real Audio Problems

9. Accessing a CD-ROM drive via Linux NFS in a diskless machine - help needed

10. NFS- Problem Mounting Remote CD-ROM

11. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

12. Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM

13. Mounting CD ROM vs. Mounting CD ROM