R40 versus S70A

Post by Tom Whale » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

We just penned an agreement to purchase a new S70A system to replace our
R40.  We would still like to use the R40 as a failover server for the S70,
F50, and 2-E30 servers using HACMP.  1st, can someone give me some realword
performance observations regarding the S70 (we should have about 150 users
on it upon install), and also any comments on using the R40 as a failover
server would be real helpful.  The R40 spec is a 8-way 166Mhz with 2Gb of
memory and 24Gb of disc using and SSA-010 drawer.

Thanks!!

--
Tom Whalen
Data Center Manager

                 > T h e  T r u t h  i s  O u t  T h e r e  <

R40 versus S70A

Post by H?kan Rissane » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

The S70 is FAST!
We have replaced a 8-way 2GB memory R40 with a 4-way 4GB memory S70.
Speaking from experience, first make sure your apps compile and run in the
64bit architecture.
Note you need to upgrade your C compiler to V 3.6.

//H?kanen

--
  H?kan Rissanen, IWSC

R40 versus S70A

Post by Richard Mun » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: We just penned an agreement to purchase a new S70A system to replace our
: R40.  We would still like to use the R40 as a failover server for the S70,
: F50, and 2-E30 servers using HACMP.  1st, can someone give me some realword
: performance observations regarding the S70 (we should have about 150 users
: on it upon install), and also any comments on using the R40 as a failover
: server would be real helpful.  The R40 spec is a 8-way 166Mhz with 2Gb of
: memory and 24Gb of disc using and SSA-010 drawer.

We have a 4-way S70 (262-MHz chip set), 1 gigabyte RAM and a total of 91
gigabytes of SSA RAID.  As another message indicated, it is *FAST*.  I've
already migrated five smaller systems over to it and the S70 took the
entire load without hardly budging the needle on load.

We currently have a proxy server (Squid) running on it, 22 virtual web
sites running through Apache 1.3, a news server, C, C++, Pascal, DB2, a
very heavy load with WebCT (a distance education program) licenced for
12,500 users (with a mean load of about 300 at any given point), classes of
students using the system to learn (meaning compiling, editing, hacking,
etc.), and the S70 hardly notices.

Great system.  It's wonderful not to be having to fight performance issues
any more...

: Thanks!!

: --
: Tom Whalen
: Data Center Manager
: Community Health Care, Inc.

:                  > T h e  T r u t h  i s  O u t  T h e r e  <

Unix System Administration     Humber College Network Services Department

1. Linux versus SCO versus NT advice.

I need some advise.

Until know I've spent a lot of time and money
trying to get a Linux server running.
I was better of if I just had bought an NT server !!

I've tried Slackware 3.4 first.
But the documentation is a mess.
Allthough that isn't the biggest problem.
It isn't a stable OS.
When a program crashes it can take the whole system down.
Also the documentation isn't correct.
For example:
It states to use a gcc version x.x.x or newer to compile the kernel.
But people on the net say you will have to use a newer version than that.
(also the new compile will not install)

Then I tried Red HAt 5.1.
Same problem unstable.
Documentation seems to be a little better.
But also this OS hangs if a program crashes.
The OS doesn't even read out the keyboard anymore.
Also some basic things are wrong.
Don't try this:
cd /
ls -l */*/XF86Config
If you do this as normal user you only can shut the
server down with the power button

I've tested the above on two different PC.
One which is new the other an old one.

To let the story be short
Is an OSC server more stable than Linux ?

Can it run with the following hardware ?
ABIT LX6
64 MB ECC ram
Quantum FireBall 6.4 se ide (not my favorit brand)
Aopen 32x aku  CDROM (ide)
Intell Pentium II 300mhz
Tornado 4MB pci (s3virge DX)
microsoft ps/2 mouse.
I've several brands of ethernet and modems so that isn't a problem.

Or should I directly buy an NT server ?

Perpose:
Mainly learning a bit more of Unix.
I'm NOT interested in development in C language.
Conect my local net periodecly and automatic with the internet
when needed.
(reading email/browsing)
Whe don't have cable jet , so it will be a PPP dial up.
Design and testing of perl CGI scripts
I need a running web server for that.
I don't like the asp thing.

Please mail me at

2. Linux on a Tecra

3. Comparing Unix versus Linux versus Windows NT/2000

4. questions using mail through PPP

5. low latency versus sched O(1) - and versus preempt

6. How to upgrade ?

7. Linux versus OS/2 versus Cairo and so on

8. ET4000W32 & X 3.1.1 (scrambled screen,...)

9. DEC 3000 model 3000, ESA0 versus EWA0/ MOP versus BOOTP

10. XP Pro versus Home versus 2000

11. Ultastar 18ES on IBM 7015-R40

12. microcode G40/R40/J40 9.51

13. Oracle 8i/9i on R40?