Making a automatic backup on a system always at use.

Making a automatic backup on a system always at use.

Post by joha » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi everybody,

I have a question to all of you that can help.

I have a Unix system running on a rs6000 from IBM. The system is used for
many tasks and one of them is to get some data from a database and
transferring that data to a Windows 95 workstation. This is a 24hours open
database. The users have to login to get access to the database. Making the
database more accessible I wrote a script logging the users automatically on
whenever the workstation is rebooted or when they logout.  Now here comes
the problem!

I have also written a script that shuts all databases, prevents users from
automatically logging in and performs a backup. Unfortunately the database
can't be shut because of the users logged in. I have tried the killall -
command but this was not very helpful. If I execute that command from the
root it seems to work just fine. But when I let a cron job execute it the
users can't log in any more because the access to the system is denied. The
only way that I can get the system running again is by logging in through a
console and reboot the system.

If anyone has a suggestion to get rid of this problem please let me now.

I would appreciate it if you could send your reply to my email address

Many-many thanks,

Najim

Ps. I'm doing a manual back up until I find a solution to this problem.
Please HELP!!

Making a automatic backup on a system always at use.

Post by Marc » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Try the "sync" command to flush all open files. Maybe this answers your
question.

I hope this help you.

Bye.

> Hi everybody,

> I have a question to all of you that can help.

> I have a Unix system running on a rs6000 from IBM. The system is used for
> many tasks and one of them is to get some data from a database and
> transferring that data to a Windows 95 workstation. This is a 24hours
open
> database. The users have to login to get access to the database. Making
the
> database more accessible I wrote a script logging the users automatically
on
> whenever the workstation is rebooted or when they logout.  Now here comes
> the problem!

> I have also written a script that shuts all databases, prevents users
from
> automatically logging in and performs a backup. Unfortunately the
database
> can't be shut because of the users logged in. I have tried the killall -
> command but this was not very helpful. If I execute that command from the
> root it seems to work just fine. But when I let a cron job execute it the
> users can't log in any more because the access to the system is denied.
The
> only way that I can get the system running again is by logging in through
> console and reboot the system.

> If anyone has a suggestion to get rid of this problem please let me now.

> I would appreciate it if you could send your reply to my email address

> Many-many thanks,

> Najim

> Ps. I'm doing a manual back up until I find a solution to this problem.
> Please HELP!!

1. Automatic Backups -- or automatic in general. :)

I'd like my LinuxPPC system, running Kernel 2.2.18 (RedHat distribution) to
be able to do (incremental) backups on its own at 4:00AM, a la Restrospect
Express on the Mac side.  The preferred format of storage would be bzip2'd
tarballs, saved to either my CD-RW or a Zip250.

Is there any way to reliabaly do this?  I'm assuming I have to start up some
"infinite" process in the background during the startup phase.

Also, what kind of permissions would I need to access the Zip250/CD-RW for
*writing*?  Would a simple

        chmod g=rwx /dev/cdrw
        chgrp backup /dev/cdrw

work, and I could assign the backup process to group "backup"?  Or do
background processes usually run as ROOT?

TIA!

-patrick

--

http://www.tendim.cjb.net/
Like anime?   Got hotline?

2. Kernel compilation option chooser has a bug ?

3. Problems making a backup copy of winxp using cdrecord

4. Migrating from E5000 to E6000

5. making backups -- can I cpio to a disk w/out a file system.

6. semaphores with linux

7. Making System Backup (with ftape)

8. Dial-in user?

9. Making backup images to cd to create another system.

10. Making a multi-volume backup to /dev/fd0 using tar

11. making a backup system

12. using Trakker tape backup system under linux

13. Using Tar to Backup System...