Fileset has root part of product installed, but not usr part.

Fileset has root part of product installed, but not usr part.

Post by sst.. » Thu, 23 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to upgrade a system to AIX 4.1.5 from 4.1.4 by doing a smit
update_all.  However, several filesets will not install because they
are currently installed with only the root part of the product and not
the usr part.

The filesets that need to be updated are bos.diag.rte, bos.rte.control,
bos.rte.security, and bos.rte.serv_aid.

I cannot remove the filesets and re-install, so how can I get around
this and finish the upgrade?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fileset has root part of product installed, but not usr part.

Post by David McMulle » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Are you booting in maintenance mode?

> I am trying to upgrade a system to AIX 4.1.5 from 4.1.4 by doing a smit
> update_all.  However, several filesets will not install because they
> are currently installed with only the root part of the product and not
> the usr part.

> The filesets that need to be updated are bos.diag.rte, bos.rte.control,
> bos.rte.security, and bos.rte.serv_aid.

> I cannot remove the filesets and re-install, so how can I get around
> this and finish the upgrade?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Fileset has root part of product installed, but not usr part.

Post by Juniper B » Sun, 02 Jan 2000 04:00:00

do you know they aren't installed because of a error message you get
back... or because the install will not continue  ?  have you looked up
the filesets on the ibm homepage to verify if there are any " special
care instructions " for this upgrade ?

boo

Fileset has root part of product installed, but not usr part.

Post by ri.. » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

It seems odd these should be in such a state.
Check your lpp status via lppchk -v
Generally to get over a problem like this, install (not update) the base
level you want first, then you can do your update.

Quote:> update_all.  However, several filesets will not install because they
> are currently installed with only the root part of the product and not
> the usr part.

> The filesets that need to be updated are bos.diag.rte,
bos.rte.control,
> bos.rte.security, and bos.rte.serv_aid.

> I cannot remove the filesets and re-install, so how can I get around
> this and finish the upgrade?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Identifying parts from their part numbers

I've got a small stack of parts that I'd like to identify.
Our former AIX admin was a bit of a pack rat (okay, I am too)
and I have many extra parts that I'd like to identify so
that I can decide wether to keep or pitch them, etc.

I'm not so interested in these particular parts - I'm really
more interested in how I go about looking up parts in general
(i.e. I'm not interested in typing in a huge long list nor
do I expect anyone else to do my leg work, I just don't know
where I would look this stuff up myself).

I have a ziplock baggy with a sticker with the following:

P/N 6298964             EC D25821
        VIN 1405233             9604
                ASYNC 25 PIN D-SHELL WRAP

        *P 6298964*

I take it that the part number is 6298964 and I'm looking
for a more meaningful description than "ASYNC 25 PIN D-SHELL
WRAP".  "Shell Wrap" doesn't mean anything to me.  If I
were to guess, I'd say it's some kind of loop back plug
for a serial port.  It's a female DB25 connector.  I've
got male ones just like it (different part numbers) that
are also identified as "Wrap Plug".  I've got a bunch of
short cables that have an RJ45 male on one end and a DB9
female on the other (I take it this is an adaptor in case
your token ring card, which has RJ45 female on it needs
to connect to the type of token ring cables that use 4
of the wires in a DB9, etc. - I can see it only has copper
in the 4 holes that token ring uses), part number 60G1066.

Like I said, I'm less interested in these particular parts
than I am in how I figure out what they are.  I have a
whole pile of other assundry cables, face plates, and
other dohickies I have as of yet to classify - most of
them have part numbers.

Garry J. Garrett
CSG Systems, Inc.      ._o    see my homepage for a "mailto:" tag
2525 North 117th Ave.    |>   to send me e-mail...
Mailstop 2-A             4
Omaha, NE 68164-3679

CSG Systems  - http://www.csgsys.com/
CSG Internal - http://intranet/unixops/
My Homepage  - http://monarch.papillion.ne.us/~ggarrett

I do not speak in any capacity on behalf of CSG Systems.
I get into enough trouble speaking for myself.

2. running X programs on 4.6.2 from remote machines

3. how to find /dev/<part> from name of file in <part>

4. Q: Managing Web Server/SNMP

5. replace part of a file with part of another file

6. Jumpstart

7. Printing 2 parts of 8 part int in hex

8. Virtual host "lite"?

9. NIS+ domain: 1 part -> 2 part (Solaris 2.3 -> 2.5)

10. Can I find a part part number from unix command line?

11. Part 2 Linux RH will not detect CDROM for Install

12. cc not part of 2.3 full install?

13. 0503-464?installp?Installation has failed for the "usr" part What does it mean?