restoring from mksysb

Post by John Dun » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 04:05:53

I need to do a system restore from a mksyb onto an old 43P after a disk was
replaced. Version of AIX is 4.2.1.

Can anyone give me an idiots guide to how to do this.

John

restoring from mksysb

Post by Manish Ahuj » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 06:28:30

I did try and send a copy of the document to you by email. If anyone else
needs it  I think ibm fax line number is 1-800-4-FAX and the 4fax document
number is 8166.

Have Fun!!.
Manish.

p.s All opinions are expressed are only mine.

> I need to do a system restore from a mksyb onto an old 43P after a disk was
> replaced. Version of AIX is 4.2.1.

> Can anyone give me an idiots guide to how to do this.

> John

restoring from mksysb

Post by Dave Fel » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 08:42:40

Been a long time since I had to do this (does the 43P have a service switch?)..
seems like it was:
Move switch to maintenance
Boot the machine
wait till it gets to 200 (machine will sit and wait for you here ..)
insert the tape (wait for it to seat and reset itself)
push reset 3 times

Somewhere in there you get to indicate what disk you want to load the OS on to.
Be sure its the correct disk, cause the reload will write over anything!! Keep
records on things like this!!

When done, reboot in normal mode.  Any logical volumes may have to be restored
- you're only reloading the boot disk. The LVM disks are ok, but the boot disk
may not know about them anymore.

Its really important to keep a system configuration up to date - what disks are
what LVMs, where the boot disk is, etc. REALLY important!!

Please - someone with more recent AIX experience hop in and fill in the blanks
and correct the mistakes I probably made. Been a long time since I had to do
one of these processes (no mksysb in an HP environment, we just reload the OS
and reconfigure, takes a day.)
Dave

> I need to do a system restore from a mksyb onto an old 43P after a disk was
> replaced. Version of AIX is 4.2.1.

> Can anyone give me an idiots guide to how to do this.

> John

restoring from mksysb

Post by Alain Deschamp » Sun, 22 Apr 2001 15:43:36

Quote:>Please - someone with more recent AIX experience hop in and fill in the blanks
>and correct the mistakes I probably made. Been a long time since I had to do
>one of these processes (no mksysb in an HP environment, we just reload the OS
>and reconfigure, takes a day.)
>Dave

Check Ignite it does a similar task. If you are on HP/UX 10.20 I think
you can download it for free.

AD

1. Some device special files missing after restoring from mksysb

Hi,

I had the occasion to restore from a tape made from "mksysb" on the same
machine.

The restoration appears fine, but device special files for filesystems on
other than the first hard disks were not recreated and now I can't mount
those filesystems.

How do I find out the major/minor numbers for those device special files so
I can mknod them? (I'm assuming the data in those filesystems is intact.
;-)

Alternatively, what other steps can I take to fix this?

Already tried "cfgmgr" (no options) without effect.

Hints very much appreciated. Cheers.
--

http://firewall.rulemaker.net  -+- Manage Your Firewall Rulebase Changes
http://www.post1.com/home/ngps -+- Open Source Python Crypto & SSL

2. Trouble printing to HP PSC 1610 on Windows from openSUSE 10.1

3. Question about restoring a mksysb image to another machine

4. Mirrored systems

5. Selective restore from mksysb

6. Programming question re Sockets

7. Restore from mksysb, lost datavg

8. Newbie Questions?MKLinux & web browsers...

9. Restore of mksysb -i tape (4.3.2) to Solaris 8 box

10. Crontab Restore from Mksysb

11. 43P File Restore Off mksysb

12. restore from mksysb second tape

13. how to restore from Mksysb on 43P?