ipldevice

Post by Glorfinde » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I write to ask you, who have more experience than me, some good hint; I am
doing the config of a little LAN with 2 RISC 6000 servers equipped with
unix-aix (IBM).
The first one gives me no problem at all and I manged to config it in less
than 10
minutes whereas the second server doesn't allow me to save the changes I
make to ip addresses, netmask, getway, route table, etc... by saying me:

error 514-508: unable to save preferences in /dev/ipldevice.

So evrey time I reboot I lose every change I made previously. I have tried
many things but I don't have the manual in which errors are described.
Obviously I have already checked if I have all the authorizations needed to
modify files (I enter as root). By now I managed to write a script which
makes changes to all the options at the moment of the operating system boot,
but I was lloking for a better solution, because all the pcs will not be
under my direct control in the future.
I'd like to thank very much everyone for your help and answers (they would
be
appreciated also in private e-mail).

Yours
Stefano

ipldevice

Post by Walsh Brow » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
> I write to ask you, who have more experience than me, some good hint;
I am
> doing the config of a little LAN with 2 RISC 6000 servers equipped
with
> unix-aix (IBM).
> The first one gives me no problem at all and I manged to config it in
less
> than 10
> minutes whereas the second server doesn't allow me to save the changes
> make to ip addresses, netmask, getway, route table, etc... by saying
me:

> error 514-508: unable to save preferences in /dev/ipldevice.

> So evrey time I reboot I lose every change I made previously. I have
tried
> many things but I don't have the manual in which errors are described.
> Obviously I have already checked if I have all the authorizations
needed to
> modify files (I enter as root). By now I managed to write a script
which
> makes changes to all the options at the moment of the operating system
boot,
> but I was lloking for a better solution, because all the pcs will not
be
> under my direct control in the future.
> I'd like to thank very much everyone for your help and answers (they
would
> be
> appreciated also in private e-mail).

> Yours
> Stefano

I am not a networking guru, but I do have some suggestions.  First off,
the /dev/ipldevice appears to be a hard link to the device that contains
the OS boot sector.  In my case, it is /dev/rhdisk0 (which is where my
bootfs is) which is the character device version of /dev/hdisk0.  The
following are the permissions on the devices

crw-------   2 root system 12, 1 Feb 01 1998 /dev/ipldevice
crw-------   1 root system 12, 1 Jan 25 1999 /dev/rhdisk0
brw-------   1 root system 12, 1 Jan 25 1999 /dev/hdisk0

Does yours look similiar? (keep in mind that /dev/[r]hdisk0 may not be
your boot device).  If /dev/ipldevice links to something funky like a
tty device or printer device, that might be your problem.  Also, make
sure the permission look something like the mine.

As far as fixing it, you could remove /dev/ipldevice and recreate it
using the right boot device (if you know what it truly is) with the
mknod command (man mknod).  Just a theory though.

As far as configuring your machine for hostname, routes, gateway etc,
that is all taken care of in /etc/rc.net.  There are few different
stages that this file goes through to setup your host and it's
networking.  Normally, the hostname, gateway etc. is stored into and
configured from the ODM.  Obviously, your config commands are failing so
I don't think this info is getting set in the ODM.  So your configs get
lost across reboots.  This is run in Part I of /etc/rc.net.

Part II of /etc/rc.net allows you to configure all of this stuff like a
traditional Unix box (i.e. using ifconfig, route etc.)  By default, this
part is mostly commented out.  You can edit this part and put in your
configurations and they will get run during the boot process.  This is
more reliable and more standard then simply running your own scripts.

For more information on the ODM see:

www.austin.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixprggd/genprogc/odm.htm

-- Walsh

--
Walsh Brown

Sometimes I sit and think...sometimes I just sit.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

ipldevice

Post by Matthew S. Cro » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>the second server doesn't allow me to save the changes I
>make to ip addresses, netmask, getway, route table, etc... by saying me:

>error 514-508: unable to save preferences in /dev/ipldevice.

Please provide the output of "savebase -v" and "ls -l /dev/ipldevice".

ipldevice

Post by Jose Pina Coelh » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> [...]
> error 514-508: unable to save preferences in /dev/ipldevice.

Check to see if /dev/ipldevice is a hardlink of /dev/rhdiskx
Also, hd5 must be in the first partition of hdiskx

bosboot -ad /dev/hdiskx

ipldevice

Post by Norman Levi » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,
> I write to ask you, who have more experience than me, some good hint; I am
> doing the config of a little LAN with 2 RISC 6000 servers equipped with
> unix-aix (IBM).
> The first one gives me no problem at all and I manged to config it in less
> than 10
> minutes whereas the second server doesn't allow me to save the changes I
> make to ip addresses, netmask, getway, route table, etc... by saying me:

> error 514-508: unable to save preferences in /dev/ipldevice.

> So evrey time I reboot I lose every change I made previously. I have tried
> many things but I don't have the manual in which errors are described.
> Obviously I have already checked if I have all the authorizations needed to
> modify files (I enter as root). By now I managed to write a script which
> makes changes to all the options at the moment of the operating system boot,
> but I was lloking for a better solution, because all the pcs will not be
> under my direct control in the future.
> I'd like to thank very much everyone for your help and answers (they would
> be
> appreciated also in private e-mail).

CHeck out your filesystems.  If / is filled, you can't update anything in it
and
/etc/objrepos is in /
--
Norman Levin
vm/dynAmIX inc.

ipldevice

Post by Norman Levi » Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:00:00

hd5 is usually PP number 1, however, it does not have to be.  However, it MUST
be within the first 4 gig of the disk you are booting.
--
Norman Levin
vm/dynAmIX inc.