Simple Question from a Non-AIX person

Post by Brian Boye » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have users that are used to cancelling print jobs as root.  This is a
serious security hole.  So, I changed the password, yet I need to allow
users to cancel jobs and enable queues.  Is there a build in account that
can do this, that does not have the power of root?   Or, can I give an
account these privledges?

I am not that familiar with AIX, so please be gentle if this is a stupid
question.

TIA

Brian

Simple Question from a Non-AIX person

Post by Gert Lack » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Try to put them in the printq group as well. That should allow them to issue
qadm, qcan etc commands.

Gert

Quote:> I have users that are used to cancelling print jobs as root.  This is a
> serious security hole.  So, I changed the password, yet I need to allow
> users to cancel jobs and enable queues.  Is there a build in account that
> can do this, that does not have the power of root?   Or, can I give an
> account these privledges?

> I am not that familiar with AIX, so please be gentle if this is a stupid
> question.

> TIA

> Brian

Simple Question from a Non-AIX person

Post by bm80 » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Smit user| change or show charateristcs of the user  and add this user to
printq (Group Set). This will give the user access to printers:

 Group SET                                          [printq]
+   A

> I have users that are used to cancelling print jobs as root.  This is a
> serious security hole.  So, I changed the password, yet I need to allow
> users to cancel jobs and enable queues.  Is there a build in account that
> can do this, that does not have the power of root?   Or, can I give an
> account these privledges?

> I am not that familiar with AIX, so please be gentle if this is a stupid
> question.

> TIA

> Brian

Simple Question from a Non-AIX person

Post by Kumar Sundara » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Can you explain this process like how to edit in smit, what is the group
name(how to find group name) etc.

Thanks in advance!
Kumar

Post by Michael Kraem » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Can you explain this process like how to edit in smit, what is the group
> name(how to find group name) etc.

> Thanks in advance!
> Kumar

smitty
        Security & Users - Users - Change / Show Characteristics of a User

Then enter the user you want to give access,
then:

  Group SET                                          [<yourgroup>,printq]

Post by Norman Levi » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I have users that are used to cancelling print jobs as root.  This is a
> serious security hole.  So, I changed the password, yet I need to allow
> users to cancel jobs and enable queues.  Is there a build in account that
> can do this, that does not have the power of root?   Or, can I give an
> account these privledges?

** users can cancel there own jobs.  Users in the 'printq' group can
administer all the queues.
--
Norman Levin

1. Help for non-Unix/AIX person

Hello,
To start with I do not know anything about AIX or Unix.  I need to create an
archive to tape of two directories so we can convert the contents(data
files) to a NT server.  Do I need to clear the tape and if so how, the tape
device is /dev/rmit1 ?  What is the command I should be using to do the tape
archive?  I think it is TAR but I am unsure about the arguments.  The
directory I am trying to archive is /home/cf2000 and /home/cf2000/photo.
Once I run the TAR command how do I list the contents of a tape device so I
can see what it contains?
Thanks in advance for the help

Ray

--
Ray Long
Management Data Systems, Inc.

www.mandatasys.com
Providing computer solutions for law enforcement and municipal government
since 1988

2. Help with FIPS

3. Easy question from non-unix person

4. mtools looking in the wrong place

5. Non-AIX question

6. Collecting output from screen

7. Simple non-newbie Sound question

8. Sendmail problems

9. Going to be training someone, suggestions for a non Unix person?

10. Creating *.bff files on *non-AIX* box ?

11. remote (PostScript) printing to non-AIX hosts

12. Using Xstation 120 on non-aix machine?

13. simple AIX question