Y2K testing for an SP environment

Post by Tom » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

A while back there were some pointers to Y2K testing for the SP
environment. I foolishly ignored them, thinking our outfit would just go
with IBM's statement of complience. Now I need to look into testing. Could
someone point me to the information? (All I can remember right now is that
it was *ugly* :-)

TIA

Tom Kauffman

Y2K testing for an SP environment

Post by Larry Bo » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Tom,

There's a good work book by Mark Brown from the RS6000 lab at
http://www.software.ibm.com/year2000/papers/aixy2k.html.

And for a detail list of places to look at on the IBM site see
http://www.software.ibm.com/year2000/y2kndx.html.

There was also a teleconference on Dec 8, that specifically talked about the
SP environments.  I think you can order the tape, but I can't remember from
where.

Good Luck,

Director of Business Development
SolutionSoft Systems, Inc.
http://www.solution-soft.com
The #1 Y2K date simulation tool
Tel: (408) 988-7378   Fax: (408) 988-4777

> Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 14:35:41 GMT
> Subject: Y2K testing for an SP environment

> A while back there were some pointers to Y2K testing for the SP
> environment. I foolishly ignored them, thinking our outfit would just go
> with IBM's statement of complience. Now I need to look into testing. Could
> someone point me to the information? (All I can remember right now is that
> it was *ugly* :-)

> TIA

> Tom Kauffman

Y2K testing for an SP environment

Post by Larry Bo » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> IBM published an announcement letter where they specified that Y2K date
> testing should be done only on an SP dedicated to that purpose.  It makes
> sense since the SP is time synchronized between the control
> workstation and
> nodes.     The problem, of course, is that your company needs
> to spend a
> considerable amount of money for a test system.

> We ended up purchasing a test SP with 5 nodes.     (Our
> production systems
> include about 100 nodes and 80 standalone RS/6000's.)  The
> surprise benefit
> was that the SP makes a great Y2K test lab for the standalones.
> The CWS is
> the workhorse with all the scripts to install and configure the nodes,
> perform the date changes, etc.

Actually, this isn't correct anymore.  In the teleconference on Dec. 8, they
mentioned four options specifically for SP customers.  These were to either
purchase a new test machine, rent/lease a new machine, purchase/rent/lease a
refurbished machine, or use Time Machine, a software solution that allows
multiple virtual system clocks on UNIX boxes, including across SP nodes.

</plug>
Yes, I work for SolutionSoft, which provides Time Machine.  However, you can
check the validity of my statement by reviewing the Dec. 8 tape.  Since I
don't "trust" folks recommending their own products either, and don't blame
anyone for not "trusting" me, and recommend that you check it out for
yourself.
</end plug>

Larry