mksysb problem

Post by Houle, Darr » Fri, 20 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> When I run mksysb, it gives OK looking output then nothing
> happens for hours.  If I hit return I see:
> a ./Assessor/support/detailed_coding.txt 5 blocks.
> a ./Assessor/support/coding.txt 4 blocks.
> a ./Assessor/support/tool_reuse.ezX 210 blocks.
> a ./audit
> a ./.kshini 1 blocks.
> 0512-005 mksysb: Problems in making the system backup.

> It sat for hours after the .kshini line.
> Is this just what it looks like?
> I used the following command:
> mksysb /dev/rmt0 ; mt -f /dev/rmt0 offline
> After I hit the return the tape ejected OK.

I would try
1. a new tape (I know, I know, too obvious)
2. check the errpt to see if the tape drive is logging any errors during
this procedure
3. run it (just for the heck of it) without multiple commands on the same
line.
4. use 'diag / service aids / backup + restore device check' to check the
drive

BTW: our mksysb (ver. 3.2.5) only takes 40 minutes to run - don't wait for
hours!
(I'm assuming you have 3.2.5 as 4.1.4 doesn't display the file names as it
puts them to tape)

mksysb problem

Post by Indulis Bernstein » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> > When I run mksysb, it gives OK looking output then nothing
> > happens for hours.  If I hit return I see:
> > a ./Assessor/support/detailed_coding.txt 5 blocks.
> > a ./Assessor/support/coding.txt 4 blocks.
> > a ./Assessor/support/tool_reuse.ezX 210 blocks.
> > a ./audit
> > a ./.kshini 1 blocks.
> > 0512-005 mksysb: Problems in making the system backup.

> > It sat for hours after the .kshini line.
> > Is this just what it looks like?
> > I used the following command:
> > mksysb /dev/rmt0 ; mt -f /dev/rmt0 offline
> > After I hit the return the tape ejected OK.

If you have a *lot* of non-AIX files in rootvg, maybe you are
running out of space on the tape. Best to have non-AIX stuff
in its own VG.

 Do you run this mksysb in background?
A "mount new voume on /dev/rmt0" prompt may be coming out on
the console and you don't see it?

--
Indulis

== The opinions expressed are mine, and may or may not be those of IBM
==

1. Another MKSYSB problem...

When I try to create a mksysb tape, I get the following error;

Creating tape boot image./dev/rmt0.1 retension 1 failed: A system call received
a parameter that is not valid.

0512-044 mksysb: Cannot access device /dev/rmt0.1.
        tctl retension failed with return code 2.

I can remove the tctl /dev/rmt0.1 retension command in the mksysb script and
it works fine.

AIX 4.3.2 is the os and the tape drive is a Magstar 3570-B11.

Any ideas as to why the retension doesn't work?  Identical mksysb script and
tctl program works fine on a different machine with AIX 4.3.2 but with a
Exebyte 8505C tape drive.

Thanks,

Ron

2. mail forwarding problem with ".forward" file

3. mksysb problems on a 530 help.

4. Linux Dos Server

5. restoring from mksysb problem

6. newbie passwd problem,