Not reading /etc/profile or .profile

Post by Rumi » Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I just got an RS6000 Model 140,
with AIX 4.3.2.

The default shell is 'ksh'.

However, ksh is not reading either
/etc/profile, or .profile.

Is there something I need to do
to make a login shell read the
profile files?

Thanks.
Rumi

Not reading /etc/profile or .profile

Post by Thomas Miel » Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello Rumi,

I assume, your RS6000 is configured with CDE login?
Then a file called "~/.dtprofile" is called during login.
It holds a line "DTSOURCEPROFILE=FALSE/TRUE" at the end.
If this variable is set to TRUE, the ~/.profile is sourced too.

The /etc/profile is called by command line login only.

The machines, I am responsible for, have an executable
"/etc/dt/config/Xsession.d/profile" with the following lines:
#! /bin/ksh
for PROFILE in /etc/profile.*
do
   if test -x $PROFILE
   then
      echo "--- sourcing $PROFILE ..."
      . $PROFILE
   fi
done
We have one /etc/profile.system for system adjustments like HOSTNAME
variable, PS1 prompt variable, and so on...
Further on we have a /etc/profile.blah for every application called blah,
which sets initial PATH for that application, and son on...

That works fine for us, and application administration is dead easy.

Thomas

Quote:>I just got an RS6000 Model 140,

Post by Norman Levi » Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I just got an RS6000 Model 140,
> with AIX 4.3.2.

> The default shell is 'ksh'.

> However, ksh is not reading either
> /etc/profile, or .profile.

> Is there something I need to do
> to make a login shell read the
> profile files?

> Thanks.
> Rumi

That's very unusual.  Is that happening to an ordinary user?  Are your
permissions
"r" for world?
--
Norman Levin
vm/dynAmIX inc.

Not reading /etc/profile or .profile

Post by skaplu » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Set sourceprofile=true in .dtprofile file in your home directory.

> > I just got an RS6000 Model 140,
> > with AIX 4.3.2.

> > The default shell is 'ksh'.

> > However, ksh is not reading either
> > /etc/profile, or .profile.

> > Is there something I need to do
> > to make a login shell read the
> > profile files?

> > Thanks.
> > Rumi
> That's very unusual.  Is that happening to an ordinary user?  Are your
> permissions
> "r" for world?
> --
> Norman Levin
> vm/dynAmIX inc.

Not reading /etc/profile or .profile

Post by Dale Lake » Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:00:00

It's not clear whether this is for xterms or a console login.

If it's for an xterm make sure it is a login xterm.

DL

--
"The best defense against logic is ignorance."