Evil "185" Error on my 43p-240

Post by Ben Kame » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 00:39:48

I'm getting an Evil 185 error on my 43p-240.

After looking through the IBM Service documentation for the Model 240,
I've determined that the 185 is probably one of the most evil errors on
can get since the manual doesn't have a direct cause for it. (not like,
"bad RAM" or failed floppy) It's the "start changing out stuff in your
system until it goes away" error.

So I thought I would ask if anyone here has ever experienced such an
error and if they'd share with me what they found was causing it.

Here's my system config:
43p-240 233MHz (with both CPU's installed)
256MB Memory (64x4 IBM legit DIMMs)
IBM 4.somethingGB SCSI internal HDisk
IBM #2408 (FRU93H8406) PCI SingleEnded SCSI-FW
IBM GXT-255
IBM PCI 10/100 Ethernet

Externally, I have connected a bunch of drives and a *netics
(Exabyte 10H) library. But I get the error with all that stuff
disconnected from the system anyway.

HELP!!!

  -Ben

Evil "185" Error on my 43p-240

Post by The Threaten » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 06:30:24

>I'm getting an Evil 185 error on my 43p-240.

>After looking through the IBM Service documentation for the Model 240,
>I've determined that the 185 is probably one of the most evil errors on
>can get since the manual doesn't have a direct cause for it. (not like,
>"bad RAM" or failed floppy) It's the "start changing out stuff in your
>system until it goes away" error.

>So I thought I would ask if anyone here has ever experienced such an
>error and if they'd share with me what they found was causing it.

>Here's my system config:
>43p-240 233MHz (with both CPU's installed)
>256MB Memory (64x4 IBM legit DIMMs)
>IBM 4.somethingGB SCSI internal HDisk
>IBM #2408 (FRU93H8406) PCI SingleEnded SCSI-FW
>IBM GXT-255
>IBM PCI 10/100 Ethernet

>Externally, I have connected a bunch of drives and a *netics
>(Exabyte 10H) library. But I get the error with all that stuff
>disconnected from the system anyway.

I've experienced a couple of times 180 and 185 errors on 7013-5xx series
systems. On one occasion it was a faulty memory carrier and on the other a
faulty CPU planar.

So going by that, you could try swapping out some of the DIMMs or one of the
CPUs.

--
...so be it, Jedi!
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Evil "185" Error on my 43p-240

Post by Gary Schmid » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 11:04:00

> I'm getting an Evil 185 error on my 43p-240.

[SNIP]

Once got it on a box that had been shipped across the Pacific from the
USA to Oz (by a user, not IBM).  Opened the case and re-seated every
card and cable and whatnot, and it went away.

        Cheers,
                Gary    B-)

Evil "185" Error on my 43p-240

Post by jose » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 08:07:36

I had the same error (but i'm not sure completely if it was 185). I think my
tape drive was dirty.I used a cleaning tape and then reinstalled the last
firmware. I suggest you that reinstall the last firmware.

In any case, what do you get with errpt command ? Any mail to root user ?

Regards.

Quote:

> I'm getting an Evil 185 error on my 43p-240.

> After looking through the IBM Service documentation for the Model 240,
> I've determined that the 185 is probably one of the most evil errors on
> can get since the manual doesn't have a direct cause for it. (not like,
> "bad RAM" or failed floppy) It's the "start changing out stuff in your
> system until it goes away" error.

> So I thought I would ask if anyone here has ever experienced such an
> error and if they'd share with me what they found was causing it.

> Here's my system config:
> 43p-240 233MHz (with both CPU's installed)
> 256MB Memory (64x4 IBM legit DIMMs)
> IBM 4.somethingGB SCSI internal HDisk
> IBM #2408 (FRU93H8406) PCI SingleEnded SCSI-FW
> IBM GXT-255
> IBM PCI 10/100 Ethernet

> Externally, I have connected a bunch of drives and a *netics
> (Exabyte 10H) library. But I get the error with all that stuff
> disconnected from the system anyway.

> HELP!!!

>   -Ben

1. System hang with LED "185" on 43P-240

I have a 43P Model 240 dual CPU Workstation running AIX 4.3.2. with CDE.  It
frequently hangs up with a "185" at the LED code.  It happens sometimes when
I was editting a file in the "vi".  I have tried to locate the problem by
running the diagnostic for all resources (i.e. diag), but the result is "no
trouble is found".  Also, sometimes the system cannot be booted successfully
and hangs with "185" even before the CDE login box come out.  Does anyone
know whether this problem comes from hardware or software?

2. Dual booting Solaris 2.4 for x86

3. restoring mksysb created on 43P-140 to 43P-240 (up to mp)

4. httpd - user supported dirs

5. "./bitmaps/error", line 4: warning: initializer does not fit: 240

6. SUDO 1.6.1 and AIX 4.3.2

8. I can't telnet, ping, or access my own server

10. 43p-240 Memory

11. Type of memory for 43P-240?

12. NIM install on 43P-240

13. IBM 43P-240 boot failure. Need help!!!