Mouses dead on two RS/6000 43P-140 systems

Mouses dead on two RS/6000 43P-140 systems

Post by John Cheshir » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

We have two RS/6000 43P-140 systems loaded with AIX 4.2.1.

The mouse has not worked on either machine since we received them.

We get a mouse pointer, but no movement. This is true at the BIOS
diags level and the OS level.

The mouses have been tested on PC's and have been verified as ok.

We have noted that the two systems have the tablet port. I was
wondering if the tablet port disables the mouse port. We tried
disconnecting the tablet port by unplugging it's cable from the
system board, but this did not help.

So, we do not know whether we have two machines with the
same hardware fault or whether the mouse is not supposed to
move during diagnostics and that it would move in CDE if
we had a different version of AIX.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John Cheshire

Mouses dead on two RS/6000 43P-140 systems

Post by Christof Schwa » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> The mouse has not worked on either machine since we received them.

> We get a mouse pointer, but no movement. This is true at the BIOS
> diags level and the OS level.

> The mouses have been tested on PC's and have been verified as ok.

> We have noted that the two systems have the tablet port. I was
> wondering if the tablet port disables the mouse port. We tried
> disconnecting the tablet port by unplugging it's cable from the
> system board, but this did not help.

The mouse is disabled if you have plugged in a tablett. If you
unplug the tablett you need to reboot the workstation.
Afer reboot the mouse should work.

Mouses dead on two RS/6000 43P-140 systems

Post by Michael Thoma » Fri, 11 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I have noticed weird problems with mice on 43P-140's and 150's in the
diagnostics screen.  Mostly the mouse reacts extremely quickly, and
incorrectly.  After loading 4.3.2 all seems fine though.  I am pretty
sure that the tablet port would not affect the mouse port.

> We have two RS/6000 43P-140 systems loaded with AIX 4.2.1.

> The mouse has not worked on either machine since we received them.

> We get a mouse pointer, but no movement. This is true at the BIOS
> diags level and the OS level.

> The mouses have been tested on PC's and have been verified as ok.

> We have noted that the two systems have the tablet port. I was
> wondering if the tablet port disables the mouse port. We tried
> disconnecting the tablet port by unplugging it's cable from the
> system board, but this did not help.

> So, we do not know whether we have two machines with the
> same hardware fault or whether the mouse is not supposed to
> move during diagnostics and that it would move in CDE if
> we had a different version of AIX.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> John Cheshire

Mouses dead on two RS/6000 43P-140 systems

Post by JPai » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I have seee this problem too.  When I unpluged the mouse and rebooted, the bios
re-initilized the the mouse port because there was a config change.  May or may
not help.

1. 43P 140 SuSE 7.3, Was: IBM RS/6000 43P 140 SuSe v7.3 PCI Graphic Card

Wow!  Can you tell me how you did that?  I've been trying to install for days and usually wind up with a "mon>" prompt.

I tried the 7.1 technique listed on the SuSE site, and that didn't work.  Neither did the latest kernel at http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140.

The 43P 140 has the latest firmware and an ASCII console.

Any pointers here are highly appreciated.

2. installing NIC in redhat 6.1

3. RS-6000 43P-140 mouse

4. VM suggestion...

5. IBM RS/6000 43P-140 running Linux ?

6. Tool package for processing of mail?

7. RS/6000 43p-140 7043

8. TFT-LCD monitor question..

9. Any Linux for RS/6000 43P-140?

10. FS: RS/6000 43P-140 166MHz

11. Can I install linux on IBM RS/6000 43P-140 or 240 model?

12. RS/6000 43P-140 hangs on boot

13. FS: RS/6000 43P-140's