IBM Power Series 820 and AIX

Post by wjmuldro » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I just got a hold of a IBM Powerpc 820 with AIX and no documentation.  Does
anyone know where I might locate a user's guide and perhaps a couple of hot
keys that will get me off the damn EASY SETUP screen.

I've been working with Linux for about a year and would like to play with
AIX a bit or possibly install linuxppc.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

IBM Power Series 820 and AIX

Post by Charles Hullet » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00

As an owner of just this machine, I can tell you that the EASY SETUP screen
should only come up if you (a) don't have a boot device available or (b) are
pressing the F1 key during boot.

I could make some copies of the owner's manual from work, or something
(sorry no scanner available or I'd just email them to you).  There is an IBM
PowerSeries worship (okay, maybe that's a little strong) page somewhere on
the net.  Anyone have the url?

>I just got a hold of a IBM Powerpc 820 with AIX and no documentation.  Does
>anyone know where I might locate a user's guide and perhaps a couple of hot
>keys that will get me off the damn EASY SETUP screen.

>I've been working with Linux for about a year and would like to play with
>AIX a bit or possibly install linuxppc.  Any help would be greatly
>appreciated.

IBM Power Series 820 and AIX

Post by Norman Levi » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

The 820 is the same as the 40P (an OLD model) except it was built by the pc
side
of the IBM house while the 40P came from the risc side.  It has IDE drives
instead
of SCSI - unless an add on was ordered.  This device MUST have an SMS diskette
to be usable since the bootlist can only be changed using this diskette.
At least on the 850 (aka 43P) you could change the bootlist if the system was
up and running, but if you had a problem, you still needed an SMS diskette to
change the bootlist if the disks failed.

Anyway, check the IBM sites for the latest microcode and SMS diskette for this
puppy.
--
Norman Levin
vm/dynAmIX inc.

IBM Power Series 820 and AIX

Post by Trevor Corde » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I just got a hold of a IBM Powerpc 820 with AIX and no documentation.  Does
> anyone know where I might locate a user's guide and perhaps a couple of hot
> keys that will get me off the damn EASY SETUP screen.

Check out my site for info on the ThinkPad version of the 820 and especially
the "Links" section for links to the desktop powerseries home page:

http://www.escape.ca/~tcordes

You'll also find links there to the firmware/SMS page at IBM as well as
some online docs.

Also do a deja.com search on "power series" or "power series" in forum
comp.unix.aix... lots of helpful hints there.

--
Check out my forsale lists http://www.escape.ca/~tcordes/forsale.html
comics,hardware,software,atari,caraudio,textbooks,syquest

1. linuxppc2000 on IBM thinkpad power series 820

Hello

I'm trying to install linux ppc 2000 on an IBM thinkpad 820 ( powerpc 603)
but when I insert the CD and choose to boot from the CD : nothing. I
download an image floppy disk to boot : always nothing . Does anyone could
help me please ?

Thanks in advance

Gilles

2. BogoMips for Alpha and Color NeXT

3. ibm power series 820

4. HELP NEEDED : RECURSIVE SHELL PROCEDURE

5. IBM ThinkPad Model: Power Series 820

6. using "system"

7. Thinkpad Power Series 820

8. Help: Linux Swap

9. Power Series 820

10. ThinkPad Power Series 820 and PCMCIA Ethernet Card

11. Power Series 820

12. IBM Power Series + AIX

13. HP 820 series printer