No errpt via smit (1800-109, 1800-107)

No errpt via smit (1800-109, 1800-107)

Post by Joerg Brueh » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00



Hello AIX experts !

I am (still) using AIX 4.1.2.0 on a model 25T.
However, I tried to gradually upgrade to 4.1.5, but this
is not yet really finished.
'bos.sysmgt.smit' is at 4.1.2.2 (committed).

To search for the reasons of some problems, I wanted to
generate an error report via smit.
(I know I can use the 'errpt' command directly, but I hoped
smit would offer me lists of the codes involved ...)

However, following the path
  System Management -> Problem Determination -> Error Log
and selecting
  Generate Error Report
I get a window displaying message 1800-109 ("... currently
no additional SMIT screen entries ...").

Trying with the "fast path" 'smit errpt', the message is
1800-107 ("... currently no SMIT screen entries ...").

AFAIR, this item did work previously for me, and I did not
(knowingly) change any settings, delete stuff etc.

Using 'info' and searching for these error codes just led me
to some general article on SMIT, but not to a detailed reason.
DejaNews was no help either.

Questions:
1) Should this item work in 4.1.2, or is it generally
   inoperative (and my remembrance wrong) ?

2) Assuming it should work:
   What is the correct procedure to search for the reason
   of this problem ?  

Thank you for hints !
Joerg Bruehe

--
Joerg Bruehe, SQL Datenbanksysteme GmbH, Berlin, Germany
     (speaking only for himself)

 
 
 

No errpt via smit (1800-109, 1800-107)

Post by Stephen J. Murra » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Hello,

You say you have been trying to "gradually upgrade to 4.1.5", does this mean
you have been selectively installing lpp's and patches to your system ? If
yes, you may well have introduced incompatibility errors between older and
newer components.

AIX 4.1.5 is a stable level, with all patches applied. I'd suggest going
quickly to that release level, assuming that "installp" is able to operate
outside of smit....

I'm running AIX 4.3.2 on my 250, working just fine.


> Hello AIX experts !

> I am (still) using AIX 4.1.2.0 on a model 25T.
> However, I tried to gradually upgrade to 4.1.5, but this
> is not yet really finished.
> 'bos.sysmgt.smit' is at 4.1.2.2 (committed).

> To search for the reasons of some problems, I wanted to
> generate an error report via smit.
> (I know I can use the 'errpt' command directly, but I hoped
> smit would offer me lists of the codes involved ...)

> However, following the path
>   System Management -> Problem Determination -> Error Log
> and selecting
>   Generate Error Report
> I get a window displaying message 1800-109 ("... currently
> no additional SMIT screen entries ...").

> Trying with the "fast path" 'smit errpt', the message is
> 1800-107 ("... currently no SMIT screen entries ...").

> AFAIR, this item did work previously for me, and I did not
> (knowingly) change any settings, delete stuff etc.

> Using 'info' and searching for these error codes just led me
> to some general article on SMIT, but not to a detailed reason.
> DejaNews was no help either.

> Questions:
> 1) Should this item work in 4.1.2, or is it generally
>    inoperative (and my remembrance wrong) ?

> 2) Assuming it should work:
>    What is the correct procedure to search for the reason
>    of this problem ?

> Thank you for hints !
> Joerg Bruehe

> --
> Joerg Bruehe, SQL Datenbanksysteme GmbH, Berlin, Germany
>      (speaking only for himself)