ibm power series 820

Post by bria » Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I picked up a used ibm laptop running aix. however I cant get it to boot,
I dont have the password. On boot the laptop wants a password up to
8 characters. My questions are these
will this laptop run any other os besides aix?
Is there a way to reset the cmos so i can get into the machine and install
another os?

ibm power series 820

Post by Norman Levi » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I picked up a used ibm laptop running aix. however I cant get it to boot,
> I dont have the password. On boot the laptop wants a password up to
> 8 characters. My questions are these
> will this laptop run any other os besides aix?
> Is there a way to reset the cmos so i can get into the machine and install
> another os?

You probably need a 4.1.5 CD.  Power machine down.  On boot up, press F1 to get into
set up mode.  Change boot device to boot from CD.  This will bring up AIX in service
mode.  You will be root - no password required.  You will go thru several screens
of prompts that SOUND like you are going to install.  Don't worry.  At the screen
that asks.
1 install with defaults
2 install change defaults
3 system recover
Pick 3.
Then 1) access rootvg
then 1) open shell
then use the passwd command to change password.
Check out the site: http://www.mb.imag.net/~trevor/tpmain.html
for more info.

--
Norman Levin

1. IBM Power Series 820 and AIX

I just got a hold of a IBM Powerpc 820 with AIX and no documentation.  Does
anyone know where I might locate a user's guide and perhaps a couple of hot
keys that will get me off the damn EASY SETUP screen.

I've been working with Linux for about a year and would like to play with
AIX a bit or possibly install linuxppc.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

2. HEY IM BACK

3. linuxppc2000 on IBM thinkpad power series 820

4. help with SLIP and *unknown server" error

5. IBM ThinkPad Model: Power Series 820

6. Terminal Emulation Q (Wyse)

7. Thinkpad Power Series 820

8. is nested read illegal.

9. Power Series 820

10. ThinkPad Power Series 820 and PCMCIA Ethernet Card

11. Power Series 820

12. HP 820 series printer

13. IBM 820 laptop