AIX 4.3 & POWER Gt1 on powerstation 220

Post by Robert S. Campbe » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I've got an old beat up POWERstation 220, apparently with a POWER Gt1
graphics adapter (13W3 connector) that I'd like to use (system came with
a 20' monitor).  Howerver, I understand that the Gt1 is an older graphics
interface, and therefore I had to install via tty connection to my PC.

I was able to install CDE, hoping that it might pick up the older interface
drivers, but that apparently isn't the case.

I went into smit->Drivers, and tried the first option (Install/configure
devices not loaded initially(?)) and that reported that it couldn't
find a "child" on the sgabus0, and that I should install "devices.sys.sga".
So, I went to the last option under smit-Devices (Install device software
from media) and scanned the various OS cd's (vols 1-3) for
"devices.sys.sga".  The closest I found was devices.sys.sgabus, so I
installed that.  The other was nowhere to be found (even checked the Bonus
Pack CD).  I rebooted the system, but I haven't turned it off and on.

Am I just beating my head against the wall here?  I was under the
impression (from messages from this group) that the Gt1 wasn't supported
by the _installation procedure_, but once the BOS/devices were installed,
I could get to it.  Is that incorrect?

Bob Campbell                    Unix System Administrator
Scientific Computing Division   National Center for Atmospheric Research

AIX 4.3 & POWER Gt1 on powerstation 220

Post by Robert S. Campbe » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Sorry, I meant that the graphics card in the system has a DB-15 (vga-style)
connector.  I do have what appears to be a POWER GXT150 card with a
13W3.  I assume the GXT150 is better supported, since it's a better
card?

Bob Campbell                    Unix System Administrator
Scientific Computing Division   National Center for Atmospheric Research

1. GT1/GT1X Graphics Adapter & AIX 4.3

Hi !

I'm upgrading our RS/6000 machines from AIX 3.2 to 4.3.2 .
Only minor problems on most machines but those of type
7011/220 and 7011/230 with GT1 and GT1x Graphics-Adapter,
respectivly, have problems:
The 220 (GT1) fails to finish the boot process,
the 230 (GT1x) installs correctly, but no graphics support
(X11 / CDE).

Any hints ?

Thank you,

Andreas

--

|  Dr. Andreas Manschke          |
|  University of Bremen, Germany |

2. stuff a downloader...

3. How to used AIX 4.3 on the PowerServer 7011-220

4. rh 7.0 and AMD DURON CHIP

5. I can't install AIX 4.3 on IBM RS6000 machine 220, WHY?

6. Apache logs

7. Looking for alternative to AIX on IBM POWERstation 220

8. Spying on users

9. AIX powerstation 220, whats a vram upgrade really mean?

10. Old AIX 3.x on PowerStation 220 - How Y2K is it?

11. How to upgrade a powerstation 220 to AIX 4.1.5

12. Porblems with Console on 220 / Gt1

13. rs/6000 Model 220 graphics performance (GT1 vs GT3)