How to Upgrade a 7043-260 from 1 cpu to 2cpu system

How to Upgrade a 7043-260 from 1 cpu to 2cpu system

Post by Sava » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 18:45:22

I have two 7043-260 single cpu systems with the same hardware. They
were bought together. Now we don't need the one and the other is
overutilized. Is it possible to move the memory card and the cpu card
from the nonused system to the other? The OS is recently updated to
4.3.3.0.10 with some patches. If it is possible to use the cpu card as
second processor unit from the nonused system to the used one, will
the OS and firmware recognize it immediately or is there extra work to
be done?

I have some experience as I have already made memory upgrades to these
systems and HD disk upgrades too, and I personally upgraded the OS
till the latest version, so I have some experience, but surely I am
not an IBM special technician for RS6000 systems. So some info on
these issues will be greatly appreciated.

How to Upgrade a 7043-260 from 1 cpu to 2cpu system

Post by The Leprecha » Thu, 31 Oct 2002 06:38:04

You can just take out the CPU card from one and move it over, the 260
came with two seperate CPU slots. It also only has one version of CPU
card so their is no issue with incompatability.

Cheers

Post by Steve » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 01:03:57

> ...will the OS and firmware recognize it immediately
> or is there extra work to be done?

I see someone answered you about moving the CPU. Now as for the O/S,
you will likely need to instal the "bos.mp" fileset and prerequisites
if you have not got it loaded already. Since you had only one CPU
installed before, it is probably using the uniprocessor component
(bos.up) instead of the multiprocessor component (bos.mp).

Regards

SteveN

1. 7043-260 RS/6000 43P-260

Elarasys, Inc. has an over stock of the below systems, own your own
64-Bit System:

7043-260 RS/6000 43P Model 260
1.44MB 3.5-in Diskette Drive
Integrated Ultra SCSI Adapter
Integrated Ethernet Adapter
Service Processor
32x Speed CD-ROM Drive
3029 9.1GB 1" UltraSCSI 16-Bit Enhanced Hard Disk Drive
4098 Memory Expansion Feature
4110 256MB (2x128MB) SDRAM DIMMs
4342 200MHz POWER3 Processor, 4MB L2 Cache
9800 Power Cord

Hardware Cost $950.00

Upgrade to Dual Processor System Add $200.00
Upgrade Memory 256MB Add $150.00

Also have unbeatable pricing on 7025-F50's email me for details.

All system come with a 30 day warranty and are guaranteed acceptable
for IBM maintenance.

Michael Deacon
(800) 787-6364

Please visit www.elarasys.com

2. Error message

3. Linux on IBM 7043-260

4. WD/Paradise 90C33

5. 7043-260 boot error

6. POP3 Server

7. Model 7043-260 and serial console access when booting

8. Does X support Intense 3D Pro 3410/3400 from Intergraph?

9. Booting 7043-260 and getting 0549, HELP!!!

10. How to boot 7043-260 in Service mode

11. My rs/6000 7043 model 260 cannot power up

12. 7043 260 / 7026 H70 ?

13. rs/6000 7043 Model 260 hard drive replacements