Multiple pdisks ... same 7133-D40 slot address

Multiple pdisks ... same 7133-D40 slot address

Post by Tom Hoffman » Sun, 10 Nov 2002 10:29:18

I've got a 7133-D40 with 16 pdisks. When I issue an 'lsdev -Cc pdisk',
it shows multiple pdisks assigned to the same hardware address for two
of the slots, 7 and 11. The pdisdks are all defined as AIX system disks.
Also, I have 2 hdisks which do not show any associated pdidsk, even
though a 'lspv -M hdiskN' clearly shows logical partitions on the hdisk.
I'm not experiencing any problems, but something her is clearly amiss.

Short of removing all the pdisks and hdisks associated with this
7133-D40 and restoring all the LVM structure and data, does anyone know
of a way to fix this?

Multiple pdisks ... same 7133-D40 slot address

Post by Hans-Joachim Ehler » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 01:46:33

Quote:> I've got a 7133-D40 with 16 pdisks. When I issue an 'lsdev -Cc pdisk',
> it shows multiple pdisks assigned to the same hardware address for two
> of the slots, 7 and 11. The pdisdks are all defined as AIX system disks.
> Also, I have 2 hdisks which do not show any associated pdidsk, even
> though a 'lspv -M hdiskN' clearly shows logical partitions on the hdisk.
> I'm not experiencing any problems, but something her is clearly amiss.

> Short of removing all the pdisks and hdisks associated with this
> 7133-D40 and restoring all the LVM structure and data, does anyone know
> of a way to fix this?

Are you sure that you have a problem ? My guess is no.

pdisks are ssa-disks and until now you can not boot from them on most aix
systems.
- The mapping is: ssa-disk -> pdisk -> hdisk ( in case of JBOD)
That leads to the conculsion that your "2 hdisks" are internal scsi-disks
and should contain your rootvg.
Also does your ssa-system works as a "JBOD" or do you use a raid-system ?
Do you have two ssa-(raid)adapter or a closed loop so the system will see
your pdisks from both sides. ?

Sorry , but my glasbowl is getting blank, so i can not guess further ;-)

For more info:
- lscfg
- lsvg  ( I think lsvg does have a parameter which enables lsvg to show the
mapping vg<-> hdisk(s) )
- lspv

and read:
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1146/sam0109j/0109j.htm

HTH
Hajo

CATE & CNE4
http://www.metamodul.com

Post by Tom Hoffman » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:45:22

>> I've got a 7133-D40 with 16 pdisks. When I issue an 'lsdev -Cc pdisk',
>> it shows multiple pdisks assigned to the same hardware address for two
>> of the slots, 7 and 11. The pdisdks are all defined as AIX system
>> disks. Also, I have 2 hdisks which do not show any associated pdidsk,
>> even though a 'lspv -M hdiskN' clearly shows logical partitions on the
>> hdisk. I'm not experiencing any problems, but something her is clearly
>> amiss.

>> Short of removing all the pdisks and hdisks associated with this
>> 7133-D40 and restoring all the LVM structure and data, does anyone
>> know of a way to fix this?

> Are you sure that you have a problem ? My guess is no.

Well, yes, I did have a problem, but not what I thought. It turns out I
had two simultaneous disk failures in the 7133 that resulted in the
duplicate pdisk assignments when we added additional disks in the
drawer. The problem cleared when we removed the hdisks and pdisks
associated with the failed disks, replaced the disks, and ran cfgmgr.

1. Getting original shipping carton for 7133-D40

We have a need to send a 7133-D40 SSA drawer to another of our sites;
we also want to keep it in good shape and must use an original carton
in order to be insured by the shipper *and* to be covered by IBM warranty
along with using their preferred shipper. No problem.

Only catch is, we don't still have the original shipping carton.

Does anyone know where I'd want to even begin looking for one? Does
IBM sell these, or is it possible to get an unused one somewhere?

-Dan

2. CAN/OTT/Solaris Administrator

3. 7133-d40/hacmp cabling question

4. Shared COFF libraries for SCO 5.0

5. Advanced SSA 7133-D40

6. Inconsistency detected by ld.so Error! Help me!

7. Plan to have Two Servers each attached to the same two 7133-D40 using 6230 adapters

8. DEC Alpha w/ NT4 & Linux dual boot

9. IBM 7133-D40 with 8518/8218

10. SSA Loops on a 7133-D40