udp_ttl improves bind,but any other to tune?

udp_ttl improves bind,but any other to tune?

Post by P.M.Won » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 02:44:50

We've been banging our heads about the recent name resolving
problem (we run the named coming with the OS, 4.2.1) for some
distant sites such as in Austria.
From the Dejanews search, there were some similar complaints
, and the problem is said to be related to the low udp_ttl=30
, which had the ip packet time out long before it arrived at the
dest. (with so many hops).
So I bumped the def. value up to say 100, (similarly for our other dns which
was an Alpha machine, and it worked right after the increase) but it still
timed out for the aix dns server.
Now does anyone know if there are other related param. (such as tcp_ttl?)
to be increased or tuned. More specifically, anyone who has met
the same dns problem on aix and have solved it, kindly tell me the steps to
take to solve this miserable hassle permanently.

udp_ttl improves bind,but any other to tune?

Post by Jens-Uwe Mag » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:47:42

Quote:>We've been banging our heads about the recent name resolving
>problem (we run the named coming with the OS, 4.2.1) for some
>distant sites such as in Austria.
>From the Dejanews search, there were some similar complaints
>, and the problem is said to be related to the low udp_ttl=30
>, which had the ip packet time out long before it arrived at the
>dest. (with so many hops).
>So I bumped the def. value up to say 100, (similarly for our other dns which
>was an Alpha machine, and it worked right after the increase) but it still
>timed out for the aix dns server.
>Now does anyone know if there are other related param. (such as tcp_ttl?)
>to be increased or tuned. More specifically, anyone who has met
>the same dns problem on aix and have solved it, kindly tell me the steps to
>take to solve this miserable hassle permanently.

I have in my /etc/rc.net at the end:

        /usr/sbin/no -o udp_ttl=64
        /usr/sbin/no -o tcp_ttl=64

--
Jens-Uwe Mager  <pgp-mailto:62CFDB25>

Post by Pui Ming WO » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 03:06:58

: So I bumped the def. value up to say 100, (similarly for our other dns which
: was an Alpha machine, and it worked right after the increase) but it still
: timed out for the aix dns server.
i answered this myself. It's due to the no command which changes
the udp_ttl but not permanently (at the next reboot, it's back to
its default value)
On top the that, named is usually started first (automatically
in /etc/rc.tcpip) and if it is not restarted after changing the udp_ttl
, things won't work right.

1. Can I prevent pinging from others and still ping others?

hi,all
   I have a question about 'ping' work with netfilter.How can I
ban the icmp echo message out and still can send icmp request message
out and can recieve the icmp echo message at the same time.e.g.
I wish I can ping other computer which don't ban icmp echo,but I
also want my computer can't respond the 'ping' from others.I use
iptables.can I?
    Thanks in Advance.

2. Timetool settings change themselves

3. how to change default val for udp_ttl?

4. TCP/IP Printer setup

5. You can tune a file system, but you can't tune a fish

6. send() problem

7. Samba problem with write access

8. HTTPd: could not bind to port 80 bind: Address already in use

9. bind-8.1.2 vs bind-4.9.7

10. using bind() to bind socket to device

11. RPC services without binding to RPC Bind/PortMap?

12. HTTPd: could not bind to port 80 bind: Address already in use