E14D on 7043-150 (43p model 150)

Post by Philippe Carbonnie » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hello, I have problem with 7043-150 on AIX 4.3.2. After normal shutdown
-Fr, the RS/6000 doesn't boot and stay with the E14D. Does anybody has
also meet this problem? Thank's

E14D on 7043-150 (43p model 150)

Post by risc » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Philippe Carbonnier a crit:
Quote:

> Hello, I have problem with 7043-150 on AIX 4.3.2. After normal shutdown
> -Fr, the RS/6000 doesn't boot and stay with the E14D. Does anybody has
> also meet this problem? Thank's

bonjour,
quel est le niveau de microcode de la machine en question ?

Post by Jaime Vazqu » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

|> Philippe Carbonnier a crit:
|> >
|> > Hello, I have problem with 7043-150 on AIX 4.3.2. After normal shutdown
|> > -Fr, the RS/6000 doesn't boot and stay with the E14D. Does anybody has
|> > also meet this problem? Thank's
|> bonjour,
|> quel est le niveau de microcode de la machine en question ?

The E14D code means "Load boot image".  The boot image on the disk may be corrupt
or the device with the boot image may be having a hardware problem.

For a corrupt boot image, boot from media, start a maintenece shell, and do a new
bosboot to recreate the boot image.

For hardware, verify that the bootlist is correct (from SMS screen), verify that
the dirve is properly cabled, with good termination.  Also, you could run
diagnostics to make sure the drive did not get a read error from the boot logical
volume.

Regards,

Jaime

--

RISC System/6000 OEM Consulting Services, IBM-Austin/9810
<All standard disclaimers apply. Non-standard disclaimers do too.>

RISC System/6000 OEM Consulting Services, IBM-Austin/9810
<All standard disclaimers apply. Non-standard disclaimers do too.>

E14D on 7043-150 (43p model 150)

Post by Philippe Carbonnie » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Jaime Vazquez a crit :

Quote:> The E14D code means "Load boot image".  The boot image on the disk may be corrupt
> or the device with the boot image may be having a hardware problem.

> For a corrupt boot image, boot from media, start a maintenece shell, and do a new
> bosboot to recreate the boot image.

We already do that, but sometimes, not all the times, the RS6000 stay on that E14D
after OFF/ON. We have to eject the DDS cartridge and OFF/ON the RS6000 to get the
login prompt! And after the reboot, we go to the SMS and the bootlist was changed :
diskette, ... ans hdisk, although before the E14D she was good : hdisk first rmt
second.
The shutdown -Fr is executed before automatic backup, so the DDS cartridge is always
inside the tape.

Quote:

> For hardware, verify that the bootlist is correct (from SMS screen), verify that
> the dirve is properly cabled, with good termination.  Also, you could run
> diagnostics to make sure the drive did not get a read error from the boot logical
> volume.

Nothing strange, IBM agent already check the machines but find nothing. They changed
sysplanar, NVRAM, and other but same thing : sometimes (1 day for 10 days
approximatively) the RS6000 stay on the E14D.

Regards, Philippe Carbonnier   VIF.

E14D on 7043-150 (43p model 150)

Post by Philippe Carbonnie » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

risc a crit :

> Philippe Carbonnier a crit:

> > Hello, I have problem with 7043-150 on AIX 4.3.2. After normal shutdown
> > -Fr, the RS/6000 doesn't boot and stay with the E14D. Does anybody has
> > also meet this problem? Thank's
> bonjour,
> quel est le niveau de microcode de la machine en question ?

Un inspecteur IBM a mis le dernier ? : 99256
Avez vous une piste?

Post by Norman Levi » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Jaime Vazquez a crit :

> > The E14D code means "Load boot image".  The boot image on the disk may be corrupt
> > or the device with the boot image may be having a hardware problem.

> > For a corrupt boot image, boot from media, start a maintenece shell, and do a new
> > bosboot to recreate the boot image.

> We already do that, but sometimes, not all the times, the RS6000 stay on that E14D
> after OFF/ON. We have to eject the DDS cartridge and OFF/ON the RS6000 to get the
> login prompt! And after the reboot, we go to the SMS and the bootlist was changed :
> diskette, ... ans hdisk, although before the E14D she was good : hdisk first rmt
> second.

*** tape SECOND?  I think not.

Quote:> The shutdown -Fr is executed before automatic backup, so the DDS cartridge is always
> inside the tape.

> > For hardware, verify that the bootlist is correct (from SMS screen), verify that
> > the dirve is properly cabled, with good termination.  Also, you could run
> > diagnostics to make sure the drive did not get a read error from the boot logical
> > volume.

> Nothing strange, IBM agent already check the machines but find nothing. They changed
> sysplanar, NVRAM, and other but same thing : sometimes (1 day for 10 days
> approximatively) the RS6000 stay on the E14D.

> Regards, Philippe Carbonnier   VIF.

--
-------------
Norman Levin  - VM/dynAmIX inc

E14D on 7043-150 (43p model 150)

Post by RISC » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

si IBM a dj tout chang !!!
j'ai un 150 qui fait la mme chose, j'attends l'inspecteur !
Ont ils pens changer la pile cmos, parfois quand la pile est faible la
bootlist n'est pas sauvgarde aprs un arrt.

E14D on 7043-150 (43p model 150)

Post by Philippe Carbonnie » Sat, 27 Nov 1999 04:00:00

RISC a crit :

Quote:> si IBM a dj tout chang !!!
> j'ai un 150 qui fait la mme chose, j'attends l'inspecteur !

Je ne suis pas sur que cela rsolve le problme car aujourd'hui un de mes
clients en AIX 4.3.3 et (dernier?) firmware 99256 a eu le mme E14D.
Nous avons tout de mme des clients qui fonctionnent bien, et qui n'ont pas
de carte 128 ou 16 port, ils ne sont accd que par le rseau.
Est-ce votre cas aussi (utilisation de ran ou boitier 8 ou 16 voies).

Quote:

> Ont ils pens changer la pile cmos, parfois quand la pile est faible la
> bootlist n'est pas sauvgarde aprs un arrt.

C'est dj fait malheureu*t.

E14D on 7043-150 (43p model 150)

Post by Philippe Carbonnie » Sat, 27 Nov 1999 04:00:00

We think that the new microcode solve the problem but today one of our customers have the
problem: E14D during boot, although he has the (last?) microcode : 99256, and 4.3.3 aix
version.
Do you have an idea?
Regards, Philippe.

1. Fibre channel HBA card for 43p 7043 model 150

has any one tried to install a emulex FC HBA card for model 150? i have
called ibm regarding this and they said nothing has been test on model
150.  i was thinking of getting emulex LP 8000 FC HBA card for our
copmany SAN. Has any one tried the following configuration? we are
currently running AIX 4.3.3 and the pci bus speed matches the required
bus speed on the emulex HBA card.

Thanks in advance
Tae

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Slow httpd under OSE5; reasons?

3. I got my 7043-150 RS/6000 working with SuSE 7.3

4. Ftp downloads always stop at last KB

5. Need a black us-english keyboard for a 7043-150

6. Compiling kbiff under RedHat 8.0?

7. 7043-150 375Mhz 128MB 4.5GB No Reserve Starts at $1.00 on Ebay

8. Got SIGTERM

9. Hot hard drives in 7043-150

10. 7043-150 Disk Problems

11. GXT800P in a 7043-150