using rdump with 1/4 inch tape media

Post by Andreas Kais » Mon, 07 Jan 1991 17:33:16

 DH> I can easily backup the 75 Meg onto one DC600 cartridge (in QIC 120
 DH> format).  The same 75 Meg requires 4 cartridges when I use rdump to
 DH> backup across the network.

If you backup on a local tape, the tape will most likely be operated in the
"streaming mode", where there is little or no stop-and-go. When operated via
network, the tape data rate might be about as high as the network data rate
(measured with ftp on an idle 4Mbit token ring). So the tape operates in
stop-and-go mode, significantly reducing its capacity. In the manual of the
tape, there is a picture saying the capacity is reduced from 150 MB to 30 MB
when operated in non-streaming mode. I personally have trouble believing this
relation, especially at large block sizes, but its given in IBM's docs...

        Andreas

using rdump with 1/4 inch tape media

Post by hub.. » Wed, 09 Jan 1991 22:07:05

Quote:> DH> I can easily backup the 75 Meg onto one DC600 cartridge (in QIC 120
> DH> format).  The same 75 Meg requires 4 cartridges when I use rdump to
> DH> backup across the network.

> the tape operates in
>stop-and-go mode, significantly reducing its capacity. In the manual of the
>tape, there is a picture saying the capacity is reduced from 150 MB to 30 MB
>when operated in non-streaming mode. I personally have trouble believing this
>relation, especially at large block sizes, but its given in IBM's docs...

     Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll just have to carry the tape drive
from station to station if I don't want to drastically increase my tape
costs.  I wonder if I could convince IBM to put the SCSI port on the
front of our boxes?

Dale A. Hubler  --  Sverdrup Technology  --  (216) 977-7014

****            Whip me, Beat me, Call me Edna                  *******

1. using rdump with 1/4 inch tape media

      Does anybody have an answer for an rdump question I have?  I tried to
use rdump to backup a user's /u filesystem to a QIC 150 tape drive on our
server (520).  If I take the drive to the workstation I wish to backup,
I can easily backup the 75 Meg onto one DC600 cartridge (in QIC 120
format).  The same 75 Meg requires 4 cartridges when I use rdump to
backup across the network.  The documentation refers to the -b option
on the rdump command but does not give a default value.  I am backing
up to /dev/rmt0.6.  Does anybody know what blocking factor will allow
me to write in a QIC 120 format using rdump?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Dale Hubler

--

2. XARCHIE for linux

3. using backup with 1/4 inch tape media

4. telnet login problem

5. using 14gb 8mm tape drive to write tapes for 2gb tape drive

6. CD-ROMS

7. What kinds of 1/4 inch DC6150 compatible tape drives for AIX 3?

8. Help! Why does fsck say root device already mounted after kernel build?

9. mkdev with a quarter inch tape drive

10. Quarter-Inch (1/2") Tape Drive and Linux

11. Half inch HP tape on Power Mac running Linux: reading errors.

12. Emerald 1/2 inch 9-track tape drive & xenix: migration to OSR5 question

13. Sharing 7207 1/4 inch tape drives between RS6000's