No-prototype warning wanted from xlc

Post by Bradley T. Frees » Thu, 16 May 1991 06:49:45

> Hi,

> I wonder if one can instruct the xlc compiler to issue a warning message
> whenever a function is used but not prototyped. Other ANSI C compilers
> I've used before generate such warning unless explicitly suppressed.
> However xlc seems happy with that.

> Have I overlooked any option on the man page?

No, there is no way to do this.  This function was not included in the
design document for the compiler.  The assumption was that most people
would be migrating K&R code and did not want to deal with the error
messages.  You might want to contact your local IBM representative
and request a "design change."  Until then, I recommend using 'lint'
to check your code.

1. No-prototype warning wanted from xlc

Hi,

I wonder if one can instruct the xlc compiler to issue a warning message
whenever a function is used but not prototyped. Other ANSI C compilers
I've used before generate such warning unless explicitly suppressed.
However xlc seems happy with that.

Have I overlooked any option on the man page?

Thanks in advance.

...Kai

Kai S. Ng                     Informatics, National Research Council Canada

2. slow internet

3. Compile warnings with 0.99pl7A:function decl not a prototype

4. Reading CDDA off a SCSI emulated ATAPI Drive

5. AIX 4.3.2 xlc warnings

6. How change the ownership of mounted dos file-system

7. xlC - Displaying warnings

8. weird times in Netscape history list

9. xlC - Warning messages

10. WANTED: person to do graphics prototypes for PD "Civ II"

11. C Prototype Creation Utility Wanted

12. diff. between /usr/vac/bin/xlc & /usr/bin/xlc