rpc.mountd on aix 4.3.3

Post by Blue Drea » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:20:58

Hi all,

I have problems starting rpc.mountd on my 4.3.3 box. lssrc -g nfs
tells me that rpc.mountd is inoperative, and if I try to start it, it
will die.

I have seen messages related to this problem on this newsgroup but no
definite way around this.

Please share the knowledge if you encountered the same problem and
found a solution.

Thanks in advance,

Nitin

rpc.mountd on aix 4.3.3

Post by Clive Spark » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 19:03:08

> Hi all,

> I have problems starting rpc.mountd on my 4.3.3 box. lssrc -g nfs
> tells me that rpc.mountd is inoperative, and if I try to start it, it
> will die.

> I have seen messages related to this problem on this newsgroup but no
> definite way around this.

> Please share the knowledge if you encountered the same problem and
> found a solution.

> Thanks in advance,

> Nitin

When trying to find out why SRC daemons are misbehaving I try to get
as much info as possible:

1) Round up the usual suspects, ie, check errpt, /var/adm/ras/conslog,
if console is redirected to a file (check using lscons) then examine
the file.

2) odmget -q 'subsysname=rpc.mountd' SRCsubsys
This is to check the command that will be run and any arguments.

3) Try running the command yourself without going through SRC, does it
work or not, are any error messages generated, etc.

4) Change /etc/syslog.conf to include a daemon.debug entry, refresh
syslogd, and then attempt to start the failing daemon, check the
syslog file for messages.

--
Regards,
Clive

1. How to use rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd?

[Q2] Stupid but non-FAQ NFS question #2:
Thanks for the help of finding out the rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rcp.nfsd.
Still, after reading the NFS-FAQ, Linux Network Admin Guide, none of these guys
seem to work at all.  I still get the message of RPC fault: program is not
registered.  I guess I really need a cookbook example.

Let's say I have machines A and B which both of them can telnet and ftp to each
other.  In other words, they are properly connected.  Now, this is how I did.
I add three statements at the begninning of the rc.inet2 at machine A:

/usr/sbin/rpc.portmap
/usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd
/bin/mount -t nfs B:/home /mnt

Then, I add /mnt B[rw] at /etc/exports at machine A.
Then, reboot machine A, and it prompts RPC fault: program is not registered.
Can anyone provide me an idiot-proof way of attacking this?  Thanks.
BTW, someone mention "premeter".  What is that?

--

Salem

2. LBA and fdisk problems - help please!

3. Where are rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd?

4. AIX 4.1.4 and 4.2

5. Dangers of rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd

6. restrict users

7. AIX nfs server problems - rpc.mountd dies

8. PPP from Windows 95

9. Y2K and rpc.mountd on AIX 4.2.1.0

10. AIX NFS problem: rpc.mountd dies

11. Q: how to call rpc.mountd from rpc-inetd?

12. rpc.nfsd and rpc.mountd won't start from rsh

13. pre2.0.7-8 break rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd