Getting xdm to update /etc/utmp

Post by Justin D. Bukows » Sat, 21 Nov 1992 03:44:05

We are running xdm on our RISC/6000 with a couple of X-stations.
We've noticed that logging in at the xdm login screen doesn't result
in an entry in /etc/utmp. This is the file used by who and finger
to get user login status. An rlogin does update properly, though.
I checked through the sources for xdm and found a program called
sessreg that can be called from Xstartup when xdm initiates a
session. The man page for sessreg describes using it under BSD
and System V. Has anyone gotten it to work for xdm under AIX?
Do *your* sessions show up if you run who? Are you calling anything
from /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xstartup ? Are you even using an Xstartup file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Justin D. Bukowski                 |                                |
University of California           | I feel like an alien,          |

Getting xdm to update /etc/utmp

Post by Murray S. Kucherawy [MFC » Sun, 22 Nov 1992 00:42:08

Quote:>We are running xdm on our RISC/6000 with a couple of X-stations.
>We've noticed that logging in at the xdm login screen doesn't result
>in an entry in /etc/utmp. This is the file used by who and finger
>to get user login status. An rlogin does update properly, though.

xdm isn't supposed to do it - xterm is.  You need to have compiled xterm
with the right options and #defines and stuff, and you need to make sure
the utmpInhibit resource is "off" and you're not using -ut on the xterm
command line.

Stock xterm with AIX has this disabled; stock aixterm works OK.

-- Murray S. Kucherawy ----------------------------------------+--------------
Software Systems Co-op, Math Faculty Computing Facility [MFCF] | All spelling
University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada                        | errors caused

---------------------------------------------------------------+--------------

Post by Kevin Ruderm » Tue, 24 Nov 1992 06:44:11

|> >We are running xdm on our RISC/6000 with a couple of X-stations.
|> >We've noticed that logging in at the xdm login screen doesn't result
|> >in an entry in /etc/utmp. This is the file used by who and finger
|> >to get user login status. An rlogin does update properly, though.
|>
|> xdm isn't supposed to do it - xterm is.  You need to have compiled xterm
|> with the right options and #defines and stuff, and you need to make sure
|> the utmpInhibit resource is "off" and you're not using -ut on the xterm
|> command line.

If you have done this I would be happy to get the exact options used.  I tried
to get the options right but ran into options that broke the source.  Fixed
the source, tried to  "teach" it how to do some things it had missed but still
had problems.  Output was being redirected to the wrong ttys.  I had corrupted
utmp somehow.  It's a long messy job and I'll discuss it with anyone who cares.
Gotta run for now.

|> Stock xterm with AIX has this disabled; stock aixterm works OK.

Aixterm does miss one this, it does not fill in the ut_host field.

Rudi

Information Technology    Boston University    ..!bu.edu!acs!rudi

Getting xdm to update /etc/utmp

Post by Todd C. Mill » Tue, 24 Nov 1992 15:03:15

You need to define HAS_UTMP_UT_HOST

 - todd
--

1. getting xdm to read /etc/profile and /etc/environment

It appears that when xdm is used /etc/profile and /etc/environment
are not read.  Does anyone know how to get xdm to read these
files.  I tried to setup a Xstartup file but for some reason am
having no luck.  Any help would be appreciated.
--
Ronald Cohen
Geophysical Laboratory, Carnegie Institution of Washington

2. Auto startx

3. /etc/utmp not updated, why ?

4. Good data ploting program ?

5. ?? using sessreg and xterm +ut to update /etc/utmp

6. ! MASS POST Was Here! (RvBMpV)

7. utmp not getting updated correctly when a user logs out

8. Newbie: MAC address over network?

9. /etc/issue getting updated all the time!

10. problems customizing xdm with /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources

11. xdm adding utmp entrys using sessreg: Problems

12. Error message about utmp from xdm (?)

13. xdm, login and utmp/wtmp