How to disable the root using telnet to enter the system?

How to disable the root using telnet to enter the system?

Post by K.P, N » Sat, 15 Sep 2001 13:07:34

I'm new to AIX, may I know the parameter or file which needs to edit to
disallow the user "root" using telnet and rlogin to enter into the system.

Rgds,
Pang

How to disable the root using telnet to enter the system?

Post by Erik Klui » Sat, 15 Sep 2001 17:15:12

Use the chuser command: chuser rlogin=false root
http://www.rs6000.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/cmds/aixcmds1/chus...
or smitty chuser
rlogin Permits access to the account from a remote location with the telnet
or rlogin commands. Possible values are:
true
The user account can be accessed remotely. This is the default rlogin value.
false
The user cannot be accessed remotely.

Erik Kluit (www.rootvg.net)

Quote:> I'm new to AIX, may I know the parameter or file which needs to edit to
> disallow the user "root" using telnet and rlogin to enter into the system.

> Rgds,
> Pang

How to disable the root using telnet to enter the system?

Post by Claude Lacha » Sat, 15 Sep 2001 17:21:44

Hi,

The simplest way is to use smit chuser, choose root, then change the
following attributes :

User can LOGIN?                                     true or false  ( local
login)
User can LOGIN REMOTELY?                    false         (telnet and
rlogin)

The changes are made in the following fields of the /etc/security/user file
(do not edit this file if you're a newbee ...) :

* login         Defines whether the user can login.
*               Possible values : true or false.

* rlogin        Defines whether the user account can be accessed by remote
*               logins.  Commands rlogin and telnet support this attribute.
*               Possible values: true or false.

I hope this helps,

Claude

Post by Ted Linne » Mon, 17 Sep 2001 10:26:43

>I'm new to AIX, may I know the parameter or file which needs to edit to
>disallow the user "root" using telnet and rlogin to enter into the system.

Use smit , users, change user and select root, then alter the setting
for remote login to false.
This will allow root to only login from the console. Users who have
the root password will still be able to su to root after logging in to
their own accounts.
This can also be done for any account. We have generic oracle userids
defined for use by the DBA's and use this technique to force them to
login under their own accounts and su to the generic accounts, so we
can keep track of who is doing what.

Regards,

Ted.

| BSc GradDipDP CNA MACS PCP                                 |
| Nunawading, Victoria , Australia                           |